Is It Time to Remove My Wisdom Teeth?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, if you have teeth that are not fully in your mouth, this is likely a sign that they should be taken out. If you have any teeth that have been left in your mouth for an extended period of time, it is likely that they are damaged and should be removed.
tribdog
does it just mean the teeth furthest back in my mouth? I've got some teeth that never quite came all the way in. They are there, fully formed, but my gums are all the way around them and only a little bit of each one pushes through. I ask because one of them was bothering me a little bit. It didn't really hurt, but was uncomfortable. I reached into my mouth with a pair of needlenose pliers and... just kidding. I reached in with my fingers and wiggled it. and a big chunk of tooth came out in my fingers, does this mean I've used up the wisdom in that tooth?

Physics news on Phys.org
ARRRGH Dentists are for tha lily livered

ps. I don't really want to know what a wisdom tooth is so don't go looking stuff up for me. I just want everyone to know that I'm sitting here with a broken tooth, sympathy would be welcome.

lol I know. tribdog I feel your pain, I hope you get better soon.

http://www.kayteekollectibles.com/782001%20get%20well.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
now THATS what I'm talkin bout.

I remember hearing somewhere that tooth problems can go hand-in-hand with heart problems.

The good news is if they've never come through the gums, they needed to be removed anyway. Something tells me you don't see your dentist as often as you should if nobody has pointed this out to you before. The bad news is that if they've been left in this long, there's a good chance they've been working on damaging the molars next to them too, and oral surgeons aren't cheap.

When you get the teeth taken out, remember to stock up beforehand on soft foods, like soup and chili, because you won't be wanting to chew too much at first, and you won't be allowed to drive yourself anywhere the first day.

1. What are wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the last set of teeth to erupt in the mouth, usually between the ages of 17 and 25. They are located at the very back of the mouth, behind the second molars.

2. How do I know if I have lost a wisdom tooth?

If you have had your wisdom teeth removed, you may notice a gap at the back of your mouth where the tooth used to be. You may also experience pain or discomfort in the area where the tooth was removed.

3. What is the reason for removing wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth often cause problems due to their location at the back of the mouth and their tendency to become impacted or partially erupted. This can lead to pain, infection, and damage to surrounding teeth. Removing wisdom teeth can prevent these issues from occurring.

4. Can wisdom teeth grow back after being removed?

No, once a wisdom tooth is removed, it does not grow back. However, in rare cases, a third molar may fail to develop and can appear to "grow back" if it was not previously visible.

5. What is the recovery process like after wisdom tooth removal?

The recovery process can vary depending on the individual and the complexity of the extraction. Generally, it takes a few days for the area to heal and any discomfort to subside. It is important to follow post-operative instructions provided by your dentist and to maintain good oral hygiene to prevent infection.