What happens to atoms if an object is hit?

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, when an object is hit, it will produce sound waves and cause atoms to vibrate. This vibration is a movement of many atoms relative to each other and not individual atoms. While some electrons may leave the material, it is not likely with realistic setups. It is possible to create a device to detect these stray electrons, but a better method to produce them is by heating the object.
perplexabot
Gold Member
What happens to the atoms if an object is hit? If I hit my table, will it cause atoms to vibrate more?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: Yes

Your hit will produce sound waves, traveling trough the table. Some fraction will go to other objects (or the air), another fraction will be absorbed by the table (heating it a bit).
Note that those are vibrations of many atoms relative to many other atoms, not a vibration of individual atoms.

Great. thanks for your help. now, if i go a step further and ask if this energy transferred to the object is able to make electrons reach the vacuum level (have the electrons completely leave the material)? what do you think, is that possible?

I don't think you free many electrons with realistic setups. But some of them might leave the metal.

Do you think it is possible to create a device that is able to realize these stray electrons?
In other words can you create an electron detector that would detect such electrons (the ones that leave the object) at a distance, or is this far fetched? This was my initial question, but I had to ask the previous two questions to set the question up right!

In a vacuum? Probably.
Where is the point? You can just heat the object, this is a better method to produce free electrons.

hmmm. well said

1. What happens to atoms when an object is hit?

When an object is hit, the atoms within the object experience a transfer of energy. Depending on the magnitude and force of the impact, the atoms may vibrate, collide with each other, or even break apart. This transfer of energy can also cause changes in the temperature and/or state of the atoms.

2. Do atoms change or rearrange when an object is hit?

Yes, atoms can change or rearrange when an object is hit. This is due to the transfer of energy mentioned earlier. When an object is hit, the atoms within the object may collide and rearrange their positions, or they may break apart and form new configurations.

3. Can atoms be destroyed when an object is hit?

No, atoms cannot be destroyed when an object is hit. According to the law of conservation of mass, atoms cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged. So even if an object is hit with a great amount of force, the atoms will still exist in some form.

4. How does the speed of the object affect the atoms when it hits?

The speed of the object can greatly impact the atoms when it hits. A higher velocity means a greater transfer of energy, which can cause the atoms to move faster and collide with each other more violently. This can result in changes such as an increase in temperature or a change in state of the atoms.

5. Can the impact of an object on atoms have long-term effects?

Yes, the impact of an object on atoms can have long-term effects. If the impact is strong enough, it can cause permanent changes to the atoms such as breaking chemical bonds or altering their structure. This can have a ripple effect on the surrounding atoms and potentially impact the overall properties of the object.