Litihium-Ion Charging Circuit Help Needed

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a charging circuit for a project that needs to output 3.3V and be rechargeable through a USB power supply. The proposed components for the circuit are an LM3622M-8.2 lithium-ion charge controller, an eForCity 2000 mAh battery, and a TPS54316 voltage regulator. The main concerns are ensuring proper voltage regulation and safety when charging lithium-ion batteries. The participants also advise caution and following the application sheet for the charge controller to avoid potential dangers.
tehcabbage
Hello everyone! First post, so I apologize if I am in the wrong area.

I am designing a charging circuit for a project, but I don't have much experience with power electronics. The circuit must output 3.3V and be rechargeable through the use of a USB power supply (5V DC). Here is what I am currently thinking:

I'm looking into an LM3622M-8.2 lithium-ion charge controller, an eForCity 2000 mAh battery, and a TPS54316 voltage regulator.

My current plan is to have the voltage from the USB going straight into the LM3622, which will regulate the voltage and current being applied to the battery. It looks like the LM3622 will do most of the regulation for me, but I was wondering what else I might need to do. The battery will push 3.7V to the TPS54316, which is step down the voltage to 3.3V before it is sent to the rest of the circuit.

So my main questions are:
- What do I need to do with the LM3622?
- Is there a better component for lithium-ion voltage regulation?
- Is there a better way to design a lithium-ion charging circuit?
- Am I missing something big?
- Does this seem like it will work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi...

Just a quick word. Best of luck with your project.
I hope I don't have to tell you that Lithium-Ion batteries can be unforgiving if not downright dangerous if charged incorrectly.

Malc

I'd second that advice. If you stick to what the application sheet for that controller tells you then you should be OK. They will certainly tell you about any obvious dangers involved with charging Li batteries.

1. What is a lithium-ion charging circuit?

A lithium-ion charging circuit is a system that regulates the charging process of a lithium-ion battery. It ensures that the battery is charged safely and efficiently, without overcharging or damaging the battery.

2. How does a lithium-ion charging circuit work?

A lithium-ion charging circuit works by controlling the flow of electricity from a power source to the battery. It uses a series of components, such as resistors, transistors, and diodes, to regulate the voltage and current going into the battery.

3. What are the key components of a lithium-ion charging circuit?

The key components of a lithium-ion charging circuit include a power source, a battery, a charging controller, and protection circuitry. The charging controller monitors the charging process and controls the flow of electricity, while the protection circuitry ensures the battery is not overcharged or damaged.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a lithium-ion charging circuit?

When using a lithium-ion charging circuit, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines. This includes using the correct charger and power source, avoiding overcharging, and ensuring proper ventilation during the charging process to prevent overheating.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with a lithium-ion charging circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your lithium-ion charging circuit, the first step is to check all connections and make sure they are secure. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current going into the battery. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide or seek the help of a professional.