G/G/1 Simulation Help: Complete Noob in Statistics

• Thread starter v7t4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the conversation is about simulating a G/G/1 queueing system with specific parameters using the QtsPlus and SimQueue.jar software. The main confusion is about which fields in the software correspond to the number of clients and what values should be entered in the other fields. There is also a question about the "customers met" field in SimQueue.jar.
v7t4
i am a complete nooby in statistics, therefore the question i am about to ask may sound very unprofessional warning :)

so, we have a task to simulate a G/G/1 queueing system for particular parameters (Erlang distribution is assumed). I have been able (hopefully) to find out what mean and number of stages should be.

We are using the QtsPlus for the simulation and supposed to do it for 10000 clients. QtsPlus, however, has following parameter fields set to their defauls:

* Number of Transactions to Simulate: 10000
* Checkpoint Message Frequency: 1000
* Maximum Probability Size: 15

and i am very confused about it. Which field corresponds to the number of clients and what values should i enter in the other fields?

There is also another simulation software (in catalan, SimQueue.jar) that i tried, but it asks for

* Population
* Customers met

I thought that population would be the right parameter, but "customer met" is not allowed to left blank...

thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is a G/G/1 simulation?

A G/G/1 simulation is a type of statistical simulation that models the behavior of a single-server queue. It is used to analyze the performance of a system with a single server and a variable arrival rate of customers or tasks.

2. How does a G/G/1 simulation work?

In a G/G/1 simulation, customers or tasks arrive at the system randomly and are served by a single server according to a random service time. The simulation tracks the arrival and service times of each customer and calculates the average waiting time and queue length of the system.

3. What is the purpose of a G/G/1 simulation?

A G/G/1 simulation is used to evaluate the performance of a single-server system and identify potential bottlenecks or areas for improvement. It can also help in making decisions about resource allocation and capacity planning.

4. What are the key components of a G/G/1 simulation?

The key components of a G/G/1 simulation include the arrival process, service time distribution, and queue discipline. The arrival process determines the rate at which customers or tasks arrive at the system, the service time distribution determines the time it takes to serve each customer, and the queue discipline determines the order in which customers are served.

5. What are some common challenges in G/G/1 simulations?

Some common challenges in G/G/1 simulations include choosing appropriate arrival and service time distributions, selecting the right queue discipline, and interpreting the results correctly. It is also important to ensure that the simulation is properly calibrated and validated to accurately reflect the real-world system being modeled.