I need to buy polarised transducers

• Thread starter Serj
  • Start date
In summary, there is no such thing as polarized ultrasound as sound waves are longitudinal, not transverse. However, in elastic materials such as liquids and solids, it is possible to generate shear waves in addition to longitudinal waves. This is well-known and utilized in applications such as non-destructive testing and imaging. Examples of this can be found in articles discussing ultrasonic methods for characterizing polymeric material and the generation of horizontally polarized shear waves with EMAT transducers.
Engineering news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
There's no such thing as polarized ultrasound. Sound waves are longitudinal, not transverse.
Ah, not so! While is virtually impossible to generate shear waves in gases, shear waves are possible in liquids and solids, or basically any elastic material.

Sound can be induced as shear waves in addition to longitudinal waves. And there are hybrid waves (Lamb waves). All these are well known in the application of ultrasonics in non-destructive testing and imaging.

For example -
Ultrasonic methods for characterizing polymeric material
http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/ci/00/feb/alig.html

Generation of Horizontally Polarized Shear Waves with EMAT Transducers
http://www.ndt.net/article/0398/huebsch/hueb.htm

I'll see if I can answer the OP later.

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding? I never knew that. Thanks, Astro, I learn something new every day, especially here on PF.:biggrin:

What are polarised transducers?

Polarised transducers are electronic devices used to convert one form of energy (such as pressure or temperature) into an electrical signal. They are commonly used in sensors and measurement equipment.

Why do I need to buy polarised transducers?

If you need to measure a physical quantity, such as pressure or temperature, and convert it into an electrical signal for further processing, then you will need to buy polarised transducers. They provide accurate and reliable measurements for a variety of applications.

What types of polarised transducers are available?

There are several types of polarised transducers, including piezoelectric, capacitive, and piezoresistive. Each type has its own unique properties and is suitable for different applications. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your project when choosing a type of polarised transducer.

How do I choose the right polarised transducer for my project?

To choose the right polarised transducer, you should consider factors such as the physical quantity you need to measure, the accuracy and sensitivity required, and the environmental conditions in which the transducer will be used. It is also important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer for assistance in selecting the best transducer for your project.

Where can I purchase polarised transducers?

Polarised transducers can be purchased from a variety of suppliers, both online and in physical stores. It is important to research the reputation and reliability of the supplier before making a purchase. It may also be beneficial to compare prices and read reviews from other customers to ensure you are getting the best product for your needs.