What is the maximum power rating of a kettle

In summary, a 750W microwave oven is plugged into an outlet and turned on, with all three lights on. The question is what is the maximum power rating of a kettle that could be operated in the other outlet without burning out the fuse. Using the equation P = IV, the answer of 1800W would produce a current of 15A. However, considering the load presented by the microwave and lightbulbs, the total power would be 1050W, leaving 750W for the kettle. The initial current of 2.5A should also be included in the calculation, making the final answer 750W.
daewoo
Hey, i got a circuit question, and I'm not sure if i did it right, and was wondering if anyone could show me how to do it

A 750W microwave oven is plugged into an outlet and turned on. All three lights are on. What is the maximum power rating of a kettle that could be operated in the other outlet without burning out the fuse.

a) 1.80 x 10^3W
b) 7.50 x 10^2W
c) 1.05 x 10^3W
d) 9.50 x 10^2W

What i did is, for each awnser i took the power reading and divided it by the total voltage, since P = IV P/V = I, i found out that the 1800W one produced a current of 15A and that was my awnser, but my other friends got 1500Wats as the

Attachments

• CIRCUITS.jpg
    CIRCUITS.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you need to consider the load presented by the microwave and the lightbulbs?

if we consider the bulbs then it be 300W + 750Wats added which is 1.05 x 10^3 but that doesn't equal the total power it can reach.

that's right, how much reserve power remains for the tea-kettle?

hmm Okay So i have 1050Wats/120V = 8.75 A so then 750/120 = 6.25 together they equal 15, so then would it be 750? but I'm not counting the inital current of 2.5A so I'm doing somethin wrong.

what initial current of 2.5 A? Everything adds up to 1800 Watts.

i don't think it is 1800wats, because that ALONE = 15A, and we still haven't included the 750W microwave + the 300Wats of lightbulbs

Pay attention!
EVERYTHING adds up to 1800 Watts.
1050 Watts already on, + 750 Watts kettle.

1. What is the maximum power rating of a kettle and why is it important?

The maximum power rating of a kettle refers to the highest amount of electrical power that the kettle can safely handle. It is an important specification to consider when purchasing a kettle because it determines how quickly the water can be heated and can impact energy efficiency.

2. How is the maximum power rating of a kettle determined?

The maximum power rating of a kettle is typically determined by the manufacturer and is based on the wattage of the heating element. This information is usually listed on the packaging or in the product specifications.

3. Can using a kettle with a high maximum power rating be dangerous?

Using a kettle with a high maximum power rating is not necessarily dangerous, as long as the electrical outlet and wiring can handle the amount of power. However, it may result in higher energy consumption and potentially higher electricity bills.

4. Is there a recommended maximum power rating for a kettle?

There is no specific recommended maximum power rating for a kettle. It ultimately depends on personal preference and needs. Some people may prefer a higher power rating for faster heating, while others may prefer a lower power rating for energy efficiency.

5. How does the maximum power rating of a kettle impact its performance?

The maximum power rating of a kettle can impact its performance in terms of how quickly it can heat water. A higher power rating means the water will heat up faster, whereas a lower power rating may result in longer heating times. However, other factors such as design and materials can also affect the performance of a kettle.