Prove Symmetric Matrix with Orthogonal Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the symmetry of (M^-1)*A*M, given an orthogonal matrix M and a symmetric matrix A. The first step is to consider the transpose of (M^-1)*A*M, which is also equal to (M^-1)*A*M due to the property (AB)^T = B^T * A^T. As a result, it can be concluded that (M^-1)*A*M is symmetric.
arunma
I've got a question regarding orthogonal matrices. I am given an orthogonal matrix M, and a symmetric matrix A. I need to prove that (M^-1)*A*M is also symmetric (all of the matrices are n x n). I know that for an orthogonal matrix, its inverse is equal to its transpose. Can anyone give me some hints on how to begin this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the obvious first thing to do would be to look at the transpose of (M^-1)*A*M.

Hurkyl said:
It seems to me that the obvious first thing to do would be to look at the transpose of (M^-1)*A*M.

Thanks for the tip. I believe the transpose of that matrix would also be (M^-1)*A*M, since (AB)^T = B^T * A^T. And if a matrix equals its own transpose, doesn't that make it symmetric?

Well, I guess that in my commentary, I've accidentally solved the problem. Thanks.

Don'cha hate when that happens!

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are reflections of each other. In other words, if we flip the matrix along its main diagonal, the elements will remain in the same positions.

2. What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where the columns and rows are orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is equal to 0.

3. How can an orthogonal matrix prove that a matrix is symmetric?

If an orthogonal matrix, say Q, is multiplied by a symmetric matrix, say A, the resulting matrix will also be symmetric. This is because the dot product of any two columns or rows in QA is equal to the dot product of the corresponding columns or rows in A. Since A is symmetric, these dot products will be equal, making QA also symmetric.

4. Can an orthogonal matrix prove that a matrix is symmetric if the matrix is not square?

No, an orthogonal matrix can only prove that a matrix is symmetric if both matrices are square. This is because in order for matrix multiplication to be valid, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix.

5. How is proving a symmetric matrix with an orthogonal matrix useful?

Proving a symmetric matrix with an orthogonal matrix is useful because it allows us to prove the symmetry of a matrix without having to manually check each element. It also helps us understand the relationship between symmetry and orthogonal matrices, which has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.