Proving Non-Colinear Points in IR3

• Thread starter esmeco
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: The dot product does not have to be one, but the ratio of the dot product to the product of the lengths of the individual vectors must be one if the points are colinear. The cross product will be zero if they are colinear. More generally these conditions apply to any pair of parallel vectors. They do not have to be displacement vectors formed by colinear points.Another way to show that your points are colinear is to show that one vector is a multiple of the other. If you compare the ratios of corresponding components, all the ratios will be the same if the points are colinear.Thank you for your help!I now understand it!
esmeco

Homework Statement

The problem states the following: Show that the points of space A(3,1,-5) B(8,3,3) and C(2,1,-4) are not colinear

Homework Equations

I've tried to use the equation y2-y1=x2-x1 for the straight line on IR2 but since we are working in IR3 the same formula doesn't apply

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how we calculate the slope of the straight line on IR3 or if there's another formula to demonstrate that the points are non colinear.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could create displacement vectors from one of the points to the other two and take the dot product or cross product of the two vectors. Either way, if you know how the dot and cross products of parallel vectors behave, you can reach the needed conclusion from either one of these products.

Let me see if I understood this correctly...I should make 2 vectors out of these 3 points,lets say vector AB and vector BC.To demonstrate that the points are non-colinear, calculating the dot or cross product they must be different than zero.If vector AB and vector BC are not multiple of one another(hence not parallel), the vectors are non colinear,hence the points are non colinear.Am I right on this?Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!Thanks in advance for the reply!

esmeco said:
Let me see if I understood this correctly...I should make 2 vectors out of these 3 points,lets say vector AB and vector BC.To demonstrate that the points are non-colinear, calculating the dot or cross product they must be different than zero.If vector AB and vector BC are not multiple of one another(hence not parallel), the vectors are non colinear,hence the points are non colinear.Am I right on this?Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!Thanks in advance for the reply!

"Different than zero" would come in if you chose to use the cross product to test for colinearity, but not if you use the dot product. What must be true about the cross product of parallel vectors? How does the dot product depend on the angle between two vectors?

After searching a bit, I think I'm correct now(but again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong): The cross product of vectors must be zero,hence if it's zero their parallel,and since their parallel their colinear.Using the dot product, if the result of that product equals one, the vectors are parallel.
Am I right?

esmeco said:
After searching a bit, I think I'm correct now(but again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong): The cross product of vectors must be zero,hence if it's zero their parallel,and since their parallel their colinear.Using the dot product, if the result of that product equals one, the vectors are parallel.
Am I right?

The dot product does not have to be one, but the ratio of the dot product to the product of the lengths of the individual vectors must be one if the points are colinear. The cross product will be zero if they are colinear. More generally these conditions apply to any pair of parallel vectors. They do not have to be displacement vectors formed by colinear points.

Another way to show that your points are colinear is to show that one vector is a multiple of the other. If you compare the ratios of corresponding components, all the ratios will be the same if the points are colinear.

Thank you for your help!I now understand it!

1. What does it mean for points to be non-collinear in IR3?

In mathematics, points are considered non-collinear in IR3 (three-dimensional space) if they do not lie on the same straight line. This means that the points are not in a single plane and have different directions in space.

2. How do you prove that points are non-collinear in IR3?

To prove that points are non-collinear in IR3, you can use the slope formula to calculate the slope of each line connecting the points. If the slopes are different, then the points are non-collinear. You can also use the distance formula to calculate the distance between each point. If the distances are all different, then the points are non-collinear.

3. Can three points in IR3 be non-collinear even if they are in the same plane?

Yes, three points in IR3 can be non-collinear even if they are in the same plane. This is because in three-dimensional space, points can have different directions and still not lie on the same line. However, if the points are in the same plane, they will be considered collinear in IR2 (two-dimensional space).

4. Is there a special case where three points in IR3 are always non-collinear?

Yes, there is a special case where three points in IR3 are always non-collinear. This is when the points are arranged in a triangle, with each point being the vertex of the triangle. In this case, the points will always have different directions in space and therefore, will be non-collinear.

5. Why is it important to prove that points are non-collinear in IR3?

Proving that points are non-collinear in IR3 is important in various mathematical applications, such as geometry and vector calculus. It allows us to accurately calculate distances, angles, and other properties of three-dimensional objects. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the spatial relationships between points in three-dimensional space.