How to build a stonger Electro-Magnet

• Thread starter DHS Science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, two students are working on a science fair project involving an electromagnet, but they are facing issues with the wire melting and not being able to find stronger wire. They are seeking advice on how to control the magnet or if they should use a different power source. Suggestions are given to use a ferromagnetic core and a power supply rather than batteries. The students are advised to use resistors to prevent short circuits.
DHS Science said:
Last night i went out and bought a pack of 2 resistors that allow 100 ohms and 10W. So if hook both of them up parallel in the line then i should be fine? Because if i do then the power will be divided evenly between the two resistors and will still only allow 10W thru in all, correct?
With six gauge wire the resistance of the coil will be close to 0.
Power in resistor is E squared times R.
In this case 12^2 /100 = 1.4 watts.

The resistor does not limit watts.
It only provices resistance.

#6 wire should be able to handle about 30A to 40A without heating up too much.

Current in the coil is E/R.
Or in this case 12/50 = 0.24A

You may want to use smaller resistance value.
For 10W resistors 30 ohms is about as low as you want to go with a 12v source.
This provides a safety factor since the 10W rating is only for ideal conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we were to use a power cord from a computer then how much power (amps, volts, watts) would that allow to enter the magnet if we were getting our power straight out of the wall?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but I would really like it if we would not burn the school down.

DHS Science said:
If we were to use a power cord from a computer then how much power (amps, volts, watts) would that allow to enter the magnet if we were getting our power straight out of the wall?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but I would really like it if we would not burn the school down.

Are you saying how much power would you get out of the wall if you plugged in a power cord and used that?? That all depends on the rating of voltage from the power cord. It should be listed right on it.

The power cord does not give an answer directly if just gives (what appears to me at least) a random configuration of numbers and letters.

Why the heck is this still in this section of the forums? Someone move this to electrical engineering.

DHS Science said:
The power cord does not give an answer directly if just gives (what appears to me at least) a random configuration of numbers and letters.

It should be right on it somewhere. If you can't find it get a volt meter and measure it that way.

Averagesupernova said:
Why the heck is this still in this section of the forums? Someone move this to electrical engineering.

You know there is a feature called "Report Post" on the lower left section of a post (exclamation mark). Just report the thread and request that it be moved.

We decided to use a car battery so it is pushing out 12 volts and the wire that we are using is still getting really hot. In order for the coil to maintain the same strength we hooked a battery charger up to it, which did the job but should we put a breaker (like from a fuse box) in it to help maintain the amount of amps?

DHS Science said:
We decided to use a car battery so it is pushing out 12 volts and the wire that we are using is still getting really hot. In order for the coil to maintain the same strength we hooked a battery charger up to it, which did the job but should we put a breaker (like from a fuse box) in it to help maintain the amount of amps?

But to use a fuse, you would need to know how much current the wire can handle before it becomes a danger. The amount of amps depend on the wire gauge. There is no use in getting a fuse that's rated for 7 amps when your wire can handle more.

well we have 6 gauge wire and i was going to put a 15 amp fuse in the circut but i am not sure if that is still to many amps

There are many tables on the internet that will tell you how many amps your wire can handle. Look it up and then you will be able to choose the appropriate fuse rating.

There is significantly more to it than just sizing the fuse to the amount of current that the wire will handle. If you wind several hundred turns of #6 onto a large rod and hook it up to a 12 volt battery with a fuse that is sized at the maximum safe current allowed you will most likely blow the fuse right away. The fuse does not 'regulate' the amount of current allowed to flow. It will allow any current to pass up to a given point and then open up preventing the current from flowing. You need to wind enough wire to get enough resistance so that the natural resistance in the wire will not allow more than X current to pass at a given voltage. Naturally this causes problems because to get enough wire wound to get to this resistance we may have a coil with a 5 foot diameter. The link I gave earlier in this thread should explain it well.
-
http://www.solenoidcity.com/electromagnet/E-28-150p1.htm
This link goes to one of their products which shows wire size related to reisistance of the windings related to the duty cycle at various voltages as well as a few other things.

i went through the discussion...i'm making an electromagnet with a cylindrical iron core(2.5 cm dia, 8 cm height)... i used a 12v 1.3ah battery and it got drained in no time ! 20 seconds i guess... I'm thinking of buying a 12v 10a battery ... is it necessary? i want the electromagnet to work for 30 mins. what resistor should i use ... will adding bridge rectifiers help ??

Hello fellow hobbyist,
I was wondering if using an actual magnet (cylindrically shaped ) as the core itself in an electromagnet would make a stronger magnet, make no difference, or make it weaker...thanks - I look forward to hearing from you guys...

This thread is several years old.

<h2>1. How does an electro-magnet work?</h2><p>An electro-magnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire and increasing the electric current, the magnetic field becomes stronger, creating a stronger electro-magnet.</p><h2>2. What materials are needed to build a strong electro-magnet?</h2><p>The main materials needed to build a strong electro-magnet are a power source, a coil of wire, and a ferromagnetic core. The power source can be a battery or a power supply, the coil of wire should be made of a conductive material such as copper, and the ferromagnetic core can be made of iron, steel, or other magnetic materials.</p><h2>3. How can I increase the strength of an electro-magnet?</h2><p>To increase the strength of an electro-magnet, you can increase the number of coils in the wire, increase the electric current flowing through the wire, or use a stronger ferromagnetic core. Additionally, using a larger diameter wire and tightly wrapping the coils can also help increase the strength of the electro-magnet.</p><h2>4. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electro-magnet?</h2><p>A permanent magnet is a magnet that retains its magnetic properties without the need for an external electric current. On the other hand, an electro-magnet only has magnetic properties when an electric current is flowing through it. This allows for greater control and adjustability of the strength of an electro-magnet compared to a permanent magnet.</p><h2>5. Can I control the strength of an electro-magnet?</h2><p>Yes, the strength of an electro-magnet can be controlled by adjusting the electric current flowing through the wire. By using a variable power supply or a rheostat, you can increase or decrease the strength of the electro-magnet as needed. This makes electro-magnets useful in a variety of applications where adjustable magnetic strength is required.</p>

1. How does an electro-magnet work?

An electro-magnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire and increasing the electric current, the magnetic field becomes stronger, creating a stronger electro-magnet.

2. What materials are needed to build a strong electro-magnet?

The main materials needed to build a strong electro-magnet are a power source, a coil of wire, and a ferromagnetic core. The power source can be a battery or a power supply, the coil of wire should be made of a conductive material such as copper, and the ferromagnetic core can be made of iron, steel, or other magnetic materials.

3. How can I increase the strength of an electro-magnet?

To increase the strength of an electro-magnet, you can increase the number of coils in the wire, increase the electric current flowing through the wire, or use a stronger ferromagnetic core. Additionally, using a larger diameter wire and tightly wrapping the coils can also help increase the strength of the electro-magnet.

4. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electro-magnet?

A permanent magnet is a magnet that retains its magnetic properties without the need for an external electric current. On the other hand, an electro-magnet only has magnetic properties when an electric current is flowing through it. This allows for greater control and adjustability of the strength of an electro-magnet compared to a permanent magnet.

5. Can I control the strength of an electro-magnet?

Yes, the strength of an electro-magnet can be controlled by adjusting the electric current flowing through the wire. By using a variable power supply or a rheostat, you can increase or decrease the strength of the electro-magnet as needed. This makes electro-magnets useful in a variety of applications where adjustable magnetic strength is required.