Chemical Kinetics - Rate Laws and Mechanisms

In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction involving NO and Br2 and the results of experiments to study its rate. The rate law is determined to be Rate = k[NO]^2[Br2] and the rate constant is calculated to be 1.2e4 L^2 mol^-2 s^-1. The concentration of NO remaining when half of the original amount of Br2 is consumed is 0.02 mol/L. The correct reaction mechanism for the rate law is choice I, where NO and NO combine before reacting with Br2 to form NOBr.
kazimmerman

Homework Statement

This is straight off an old AP Exam, but I can't seem to find it online so I'm hoping you all can help me out.

2 NO(g) + Br2(g) --> 2 NOBr(g)
The following results were obtained in experiments designed to study the rate of the reaction above.
Experiment Initial Concentration (mol/L) Initial Rate of Appearance of NOBr(M/sec)
[NO] [Br2]
1 0.02 0.02 9.6e-2
2 0.04 0.02 3.8e-1
3 0.02 0.04 1.9e-1

(I'm not sure how to correctly display tables, so hopefully you can understand what everything is.

a) Write the rate law for the reaction.
b) Calculate the value of the rate constant, k, for the reaction. Include units.
c) In experiment 2, what was the concentration of NO remaining when half of the original amount of Br2 was consumed?
d) Which of the following reaction mechanisms is consistent with the rate law established in (a)? Explain your choice.
I. NO + NO --> N2O2 (fast)
N2O2 + Br2 --> 2 NOBr (slow)
II. Br2 --> Br + Br (slow)
2 (NO + Br --> NOBr) (fast)

Homework Equations

Rate = k[A]^n^m

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I've figured this out and I know I am correct with the following rate law:
Rate = k[NO]^2[Br2]
b) I also have this one confirmed correct:
k = 1.2e4 L^2 mol^-2 s-1
c) This is where my problems begin. I am sure I should probably be splitting the rate law and using integrated rate laws and/or half-life equations, but I'm not completely sure where to begin. I know for second-order rates, half-life is:
t = (k[A](initial))^-1
and for a first-order reaction:
t = ln(2) k^-1
d) I understand mechanisms a bit, but I guess I don't know how to differentiate between which should occur.

Thanks ahead of time for any help. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (b) look good.

For (c), you do not need to use any of the kinetics - only the stoichiometry of the balanced equation. Translating the equation into words: for every mole of Br2 consumed, there are 2 moles of NO consumed. This should lead you to the answer for (c).

(d) As far as mechanisms are concerned, a key point is that the overall rate is largely determined by the slowest step among a series of sequential steps that constitute the overall reaction. So, the essentials of the overall rate law should be extractable from the slow step.

So, for (c), wouldn't it also be half of the initial concentration of NO, .02?

And, as far as (d) goes, I know that choice I is correct, but I just don't understand why.

What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the branch of chemistry that studies the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them.

What is a rate law?

A rate law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and the rate of a chemical reaction. It is determined experimentally and can provide insight into the reaction mechanism.

What factors can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area of reactants.

What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is the series of steps that a chemical reaction follows in order to convert reactants into products. It describes the individual molecular events that occur during the reaction.

How can we determine the rate law and reaction mechanism of a chemical reaction?

The rate law and reaction mechanism can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rates of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants and analyzing the data to find the order of the reactants and any intermediates involved in the reaction.