How do i calculate change in velocity?

In summary, an airplane flying at a constant speed of 200 km/h [S30.0W] makes a smooth wide turn and changes its direction to east while maintaining the same speed. To find its change in velocity, we can use the equation v = vf - vi and express the velocity vectors in terms of components. The angle [S30.0W] can be interpreted as either 30 degrees south of due west or 30 degrees west of due south, depending on the context. Using the information given, we can calculate the change in velocity.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying at 2.00 x 10^2 km/h [S30.0W]. It makes a smooth wide turn and heads east at 2.00 x 10^2 km/h. Find its change in velocity.

Homework Equations

v = vf - vi

The Attempt at a Solution

the directions are throwing me off. What do i do after i draw it out? Can you guys tell me the answer please? so I can make sure I did the question right

thank you if you can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, we cannot tell you the answer. I did write out suggestions as to how to do vector problems in general and then looked at the directions given here!

Initially, the airplane was flying at 200 miles per hour due west It turned around and is flying at 200 miph due east. If you were to write "200 miles per hour due west" as +200 mph, what would "200 miles per hour in the opposite direction" be?

theres is [S30.0W] and then it turns to east... how do i calculate with this weird angle in the question?

HelloMotto said:
theres is [S30.0W] and then it turns to east... how do i calculate with this weird angle in the question?

[S30.0W] probably means either 30 degrees south of due west, or 30 degrees west of due south. It must have been explained by your teacher or in your textbook.

Looks like expressing the velocity vectors in terms of components (x and y) will be useful here.

What is the formula for calculating change in velocity?

The formula for calculating change in velocity is final velocity (vf) minus initial velocity (vi), divided by time (t). This can be expressed as (vf - vi)/t.

What unit is used to measure change in velocity?

The unit used to measure change in velocity is meters per second (m/s). This is a unit of speed, which is a measure of how fast an object is moving.

How is change in velocity different from acceleration?

Change in velocity is the difference between an object's final velocity and initial velocity, while acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object is changing its velocity, while change in velocity measures the actual change in velocity.

Can change in velocity be negative?

Yes, change in velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down, or decreasing in velocity, rather than speeding up. A negative change in velocity can also mean that the object is changing direction.

How can I use change in velocity to calculate the distance traveled by an object?

To calculate the distance traveled by an object, you can use the formula distance = (vf + vi)/2 x t, where vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, and t is the time. This formula takes into account the average velocity of the object, which is the average of the initial and final velocities.