Max Image Size: Imposing Limits in "The Caption Competition Thread

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to implement a maximum size on the images posted, but it would need to be a voluntary rule.
NeoDevin
Is it possible to implement a maximum size on the images posted? Refer to the discussion in "The Caption Competition Thread".

Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
Is it possible to implement a maximum size on the images posted? Refer to the discussion in "The Caption Competition Thread".

I'd suggest it as a voluntary thing. For instance I was happy to resize knowing anyone was having a problem - posting through photobucket allows resizing easily - but I can imagine that some pictures may lose useful detail on other threads.

maybe a little popup reminder to anyone posting an image larger than that, recommending resizing if it won't hurt the picture.

I'm not sure that's possible since the image tags are wrapped around a url. People are mainly very sensible and the only place it will happen is in the photo threads where the members are generally well established and approachable like you have seen.

Yeah, it's not a major issue. I was just wondering if it were possible or not. If there were some way for PF to check, and put a little popup that says something like "This image may be too wide to fit on some people's screens, please consider resizing". Or something to that effect. I've only ever noticed it a couple of times, and the one time I commented on it LowlyPion was good about changing it. Just thinking it might be an idea, since people with ginormous screens don't always realize when something is too big for those of us on older laptops.

I could delete the oversize photo and request that the member repost after resizing it. I don't mind if it is a little large, but when I have to scroll over to find the quote button, it's gone too far. I have a 15" screen which would be 800X600, I think that is the biggest we need. Zz's contests have a size maximum of 640X480

testing ... Yep, this is a problem - I don't think there is an upper limit

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the problem is I have no idea what size an image is when it's posted. The ones people were complaining about were not stretching my screen at all (and I'm just on a small laptop). It makes it hard to enforce a rule. On the other hand, if an image is stretching a thread a ridiculous amount (like the one I just deleted of RootX's that almost doubled my screen size...point taken), they can be deleted and we can request reposting a smaller size.

NeoDevin said:

FYI to everybody, the discussion started with message # 2893 here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=79028&page=181

Last edited by a moderator:

What exactly is "Max Image Size" in "The Caption Competition Thread"?

Max Image Size refers to the maximum dimensions that an image can have when submitted to the caption competition thread. This is typically set by the forum or website hosting the competition, and serves to ensure that all images are of a similar size and do not take up too much space or bandwidth.

Why is it important to have limits on the image size in the caption competition thread?

Limits on image size are important for a few reasons. Firstly, it helps to keep the thread organized and aesthetically pleasing, as images that are too large can disrupt the layout and make it difficult for users to navigate. Additionally, it prevents users from submitting extremely large files that may take a long time to load for other participants.

What happens if I submit an image that exceeds the max image size?

If you try to submit an image that is larger than the specified max image size, it will likely be automatically resized or rejected by the forum or website hosting the competition. This is to ensure that all participants are following the rules and not causing any issues for other users.

Can I resize my image to fit within the max image size after submitting it to the thread?

Unfortunately, once an image has been submitted to the thread, it cannot be resized. It is important to carefully check the max image size before submitting to ensure that your image meets the requirements. If you do need to resize your image, it is best to do so before submitting it to the thread.

Is there a standard max image size for all caption competition threads?

No, the max image size can vary depending on the forum or website hosting the competition. Some may have a specific size limit, such as 500x500 pixels, while others may have a file size limit, such as 1 MB. It is important to check the specific rules and guidelines of each competition to ensure that your image meets the requirements.