Derivative of metric tensor with respect to itself

In summary, there is indeed an identity for the derivative of the metric tensor with respect to its components, and it is equal to -g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu}. This can also be shown by using the identity - \frac{1}{2}(g^{\mu\lambda}g^{\nu\sigma}+g^{\sigma\mu}g^{\lambda\nu}).
jdstokes
Is there an identity for [itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}[/itex]? Note raised and lowered indices.

Physics news on Phys.org
And it turns out there is!

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) = \delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\parital g^{\mu\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu} [/itex].

Neat! I'm going to transcribe your LaTeX with the partial deriv. signs put in ('cos my brain can't read it otherwise) and ask you about the final step:

[tex]
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} =
\frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) =
\delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial g^{\alpha\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu}
[/tex]

So, how did you get to the final step? I ran into (something probably stupid) a problem trying to bring to factor out the derivative term.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat suspicious of this for two reasons.

1. The components of the metric tensor are not independent variables
2. I don't think it makes sense to ask for derivatives w.r.t. components of the metric tensor

Anyways, its probably better to start with

[tex]
\frac{\partial g_{ab}}{\partial g_{cd}} =
\frac{\partial (g_{ae} g_{bf} g^{ef})}{\partial g_{cd}}
[/tex]

Last edited:
masudr said:
Neat! I'm going to transcribe your LaTeX with the partial deriv. signs put in ('cos my brain can't read it otherwise) and ask you about the final step:

[tex]
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} =
\frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) =
\delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial g^{\alpha\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu}
[/tex]

So, how did you get to the final step? I ran into (something probably stupid) a problem trying to bring to factor out the derivative term.

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) = \delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sig ma}}g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu} + \delta^{\nu}_\alpha \frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sig ma}} + \delta^\mu_\beta\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu} + \frac{\partial g^{\nu\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} + \frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = -g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu}[/itex]

Last edited:
I was just reading D'Inverno and happened to stumble across exercise 11.3 which is to show that

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - \frac{1}{2}(g^{\mu\lambda}g^{\nu\sigma}+g^{\sigma\mu}g^{\lambda\nu})[/itex]

which is actually equivalent to the result

[itex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = -g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu}[/itex]

because of symmetry of the metric tensor.

So it is correct after all.

Last edited:
Likes Victor Zavala

1. What is the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself?

The derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is simply the Kronecker delta, which is a function that returns 1 when the two indices are equal and 0 otherwise. This means that the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is a diagonal matrix with all elements equal to 1.

2. Why is the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself important?

The derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is important because it is used in the definition of the Christoffel symbols, which are important in the study of Riemannian geometry and general relativity. It also plays a crucial role in the calculation of the Riemann curvature tensor.

3. How is the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself calculated?

The derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is calculated using the standard rules of tensor calculus. This involves taking the partial derivative of each element of the tensor with respect to each index, and then multiplying by the appropriate Kronecker delta.

4. Can the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself change?

No, the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is a constant matrix that does not change. This is because the metric tensor is a fundamental object in Riemannian geometry and its derivative with respect to itself is fixed and does not depend on the coordinates or the metric itself.

5. How does the derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself relate to the metric tensor itself?

The derivative of a metric tensor with respect to itself is closely related to the metric tensor itself. In fact, the metric tensor can be seen as the inverse of the derivative of the metric tensor with respect to itself. This relationship is important in understanding the geometric properties of Riemannian manifolds.