Mirror Alignment: Keck Telescope Instrument Accuracy

In summary, the Keck mirror uses lead screws to position the mirror segments, and an encoder on the motor to keep them in alignment. There is a laser interferometer to set initial positions, and then regular optical tests are used to fine tune it. Keck is particularly good at detecting tiny changes in field, due to the lack of static build-up on the site.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I saw part of a documentary about the keck telescope, they used an instrument that vibrated if any thing came near it to align the mirror segments, this instrument has fantastic accuracy apparently, can anyone tell me what it is called please.

Science news on Phys.org
I am not 100% on this but try searching on "adaptive optics".

The keck mirror uses lead screws with an encoder on the motor to position the segments.
There was a laser interferometer to set the initial positions (same one as the JCMT) then you use normal optical tests ( shack-hartman etc) to fine tune it.

For normal imaging operations the mirror only has to be aligned so all the elelments point in the correct direction - for interferometry you also have to have them all in phase, ie. the mirror-focus distance is the same fo rall elements.

There was some tests of a resonant inductive position sensor but it doesn't have any moving parts.

I am sorry i only saw part of the program, i think it was Richard Hammond demonstrating how this thing worked, it looked like a vertical rod connected to some electronics, as soon as he put his hand near it it produced a musical note.

The instrument measured the change in the electric field (not sure it was electric, but it was some sort of field :P) around it.

I saw that program too.

Didn't see it but you could imagine a capacitance position sensor, don't know if the mirror coating would be thick enough to give you much of a signal but you could sense the support metalwork.

Shoudl work well on Keck, a big problem on Mauna Kea (and most astronomical sites) is that it's so dry you get huge static build-up. You kill a lot of hardware and learn to touch car doors with the key before your fingers!

1. What is mirror alignment and why is it important for the Keck Telescope instrument accuracy?

Mirror alignment refers to the precise positioning and orientation of the mirrors in the Keck Telescope instrument. This is important because any misalignment can lead to distortions in the images captured by the telescope, affecting its accuracy and reliability as a scientific tool.

2. How is mirror alignment achieved for the Keck Telescope instrument?

Mirror alignment is achieved through a complex process involving multiple calibration steps and adjustments. This typically involves using specialized tools and techniques, such as laser alignment and interferometry, to ensure that the mirrors are positioned and oriented correctly.

3. How often does the Keck Telescope instrument require mirror alignment?

The frequency of mirror alignment for the Keck Telescope instrument varies depending on factors such as usage and environmental conditions. However, it is typically done on a regular basis, such as every few months, to maintain optimal performance.

4. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to achieving precise mirror alignment for the Keck Telescope instrument?

Yes, there can be several challenges and limitations when it comes to mirror alignment. These may include environmental factors such as temperature and humidity fluctuations, as well as technical limitations of the equipment used for alignment.

5. How does mirror alignment impact the overall performance of the Keck Telescope instrument?

Mirror alignment is crucial for the overall performance of the Keck Telescope instrument. A properly aligned instrument can produce high-quality, accurate images, while any misalignment can result in distorted or unusable data. Therefore, regular and precise mirror alignment is essential for the successful operation of the instrument.