Interview Q&A for High School Students & First Years

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter redargon
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion among PF engineering community members about the numerous interview requests from high school students and first years in the no replies section. It is suggested that a sticky thread be created with a list of commonly asked questions and answers to direct these individuals to. However, many members are not willing to provide personal information and believe that these requests should not be entertained. It is proposed that this topic be added to the "closed topics" list.
redargon
hi,

I've noticed while scanning through the no replies section that there are a lot of high school students and first years doing projects where they have to interview someone in their prospective field. It seems mostly to be questions for engineers.

I think the reason they're not getting any replies, is because a lot of us have answered these interviews (or similar) many times before. Would it be possible to put up a sticky somewhere (career guidance or engineering) where we could direct these people to that contains a list of questions and answers already answered by the pfers here.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to start this very thread. There are quite a few threads asking about this. The reason I don't answer them is because, a lot of times, they ask personal questions that I prefer to not post publicly, i.e title, position, address, etc...

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I am border line tempted to ask them to be put on the "do not ask" list. I think this should be discussed amongst the PF engineering community to get an idea of who would be willing to answer what questions.

redargon said:
hi,

I've noticed while scanning through the no replies section that there are a lot of high school students and first years doing projects where they have to interview someone in their prospective field. It seems mostly to be questions for engineers.

I think the reason they're not getting any replies, is because a lot of us have answered these interviews (or similar) many times before. Would it be possible to put up a sticky somewhere (career guidance or engineering) where we could direct these people to that contains a list of questions and answers already answered by the pfers here.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
I agree. I've answered one or two of these, but they seem very repetitive. Also, don't like answering a lot of personal questions as Fred mentions.

No admins/mentors out there to give us a hand on how we should continue with this topic?

When I see someone trying to ask interview questions here, I generally choose to ignore them. I really doubt anyone gets an assignment for school where they should hunt down a particular profession online and bug them with a game of 20 questions. I've had interview assignments back when I was in high school, and even in college, but the purpose was to go talk to someone in person and learn actual interview skills, not just gather up the answers from an FAQ thread.

Moonbear said:
When I see someone trying to ask interview questions here, I generally choose to ignore them. I really doubt anyone gets an assignment for school where they should hunt down a particular profession online and bug them with a game of 20 questions. I've had interview assignments back when I was in high school, and even in college, but the purpose was to go talk to someone in person and learn actual interview skills, not just gather up the answers from an FAQ thread.

I agree, but in today's world people don't actually have to make personal contact any more and can just learn everything from the interwebs :tongue2:

but to be serious, I remember having similar tasks in school and I didn't have any aeronautical engineering contacts. So it's not as easy as it may seem to find the people you need to access. Also, you get out what you put in: If you come to a website and just use answers already generated, and so does the rest of your class, you're bound to get a worse report out of it, and grade too. If you do it the personal way, it would be much more enriching and probably make for a better report. The choice is up to the student.

Count me in with Fred, Q_Goest, and Moonbear. I don't give out personal information to random strangers. The chances of me posting such personal info in a sticky thread? Zero.

Besides, haven't teachers learned from Dilbert that asking engineers what they do is a bit like going to watch sausage being made?

It's nice to see some involvement in this topic. I see a beginning of a general agreement that these interview requests are not going to be entertained, especially with the increasing amount of personal information being requested.

Mentors: Is this enough to have this topic put on the "closed topics" list?

D H said:
Count me in with Fred, Q_Goest, and Moonbear. I don't give out personal information to random strangers. The chances of me posting such personal info in a sticky thread? Zero.
I concur.

And yes to FredGarvin's question.

1. What can I expect during a high school/first year interview?

During a high school/first year interview, you can expect to be asked about your academic background, extracurricular activities, and personal interests. The interviewer may also ask about your goals and aspirations for the future.

2. How should I prepare for a high school/first year interview?

To prepare for a high school/first year interview, research the school or program you are interviewing for and think about why you are interested in attending. Practice answering common interview questions and make sure to dress professionally.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid during a high school/first year interview?

Common mistakes to avoid during a high school/first year interview include being unprepared, not being able to articulate your thoughts clearly, and showing a lack of interest or enthusiasm. It is also important to avoid talking negatively about past experiences or making excuses for any academic struggles.

4. How can I stand out during a high school/first year interview?

To stand out during a high school/first year interview, showcase your unique skills, experiences, and passions. Be confident, enthusiastic, and authentic in your responses. Ask thoughtful questions and make a positive impression by being engaged and attentive throughout the interview.

5. What should I do after a high school/first year interview?

After a high school/first year interview, it is important to send a thank-you note to the interviewer, expressing your gratitude for their time and reiterating your interest in the school or program. If you have not heard back within the specified timeframe, it is appropriate to follow up with a polite email or phone call to inquire about the status of your application.