Cheap scientific calculator that does matrix operations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a calculator that can handle matrix operations for a reasonable price. Some suggestions are made for specific calculators such as the TI-89 or TI-86, and it is also mentioned that online calculators and software options are available for matrix calculations.
bassplayer142
I do not have a calculator that does matrix stuff that would be great for my classes this semester. I don't want to spend $100+ on a graphing calculator since I use MATLAB at home strictly now. I am looking to solve simultaneous equations, matrix operations like det,eigen,mult,...etc

Any help would be great!

Computer science news on Phys.org
The TI line (83, 89, etc.) handles matrix math just fine, and some of them go for under 100.

My Ti-89 is still a classic. The best you can get for the money. I won't bother with anything below Ti-89

I was kind of aiming towards $20-30...

bassplayer142 said:
I was kind of aiming towards $20-30...

ebay? I haven't seen a graphing calculater under $80 in years, and I don't think non-graphing ones handle matrices.

uhhg, maybe I can borrow one. Thanks everyone.

I just bought a TI-86 on craigslist for $30. It didn't seem like that was an exceptionally low price or anything, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one in your price range.

See online matrix calculator http://calculator-online.org/s/matrix/

TI-89 is good but price differs for place to place better to get an used one it would be better

casio fx 115 es

There is an excellent software calculator called Mathwizard that does Matrices,algebra,calculus,scientific calculator and plot graph.check it out. you can also find mobile applications that does matrices,algebra,calculus,differential equations , and plot graphs

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a scientific calculator?

A scientific calculator is a handheld electronic device designed to perform various mathematical calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and more complex operations such as square roots, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent and manipulate data in a structured way.

3. How is a cheap scientific calculator different from a regular scientific calculator?

A cheap scientific calculator may have fewer features and capabilities compared to a regular scientific calculator. It may also have a lower price point and be made with less durable materials.

4. What are matrix operations?

Matrix operations are mathematical operations performed on matrices, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They are used to solve equations, manipulate data, and analyze complex systems.

5. What are the advantages of a cheap scientific calculator that does matrix operations?

A cheap scientific calculator that does matrix operations can be a cost-effective option for students or individuals who only need basic matrix operations for their studies or work. It is also portable and convenient to use, making it a practical tool for quick calculations on the go.