Cortisone Injections: Painless Relief for Sacroiliac Joints

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the doctor checked to see if the injections were working by giving a pain quiz. If the patient did not respond, the doctor then performed an injection. If the patient responded with pain, then the doctor knew the injections were working. If the patient did not respond or responded with pain, then the doctor performed a second injection. The doctor checked to see if the injections were working by giving a pain quiz. If the patient did not respond, the doctor then performed an injection. If the patient responded with pain, then the doctor knew the injections were working. If the patient did not respond or responded with pain, then the doctor performed a second injection.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
As a result of my many falls, I have injured my hips, or more specifically my sacroiliac. So today to try to alleviate the growing pain, I have had two injections of cortisone into both sides of my sacroiliac joints.

I will report back in a few days to let you know if it works.

I must say that the information on the internet that the injections are painful aren't true. They were no more painful than any shot.

Has anyone here had cortisone injections into their back to stop pain?

Biology news on Phys.org
Evo said:
As a result of my many falls, I have injured my hips, or more specifically my sacroiliac. So today to try to alleviate the growing pain, I have had two injections of cortisone into both sides of my sacroiliac joints.

I will report back in a few days to let you know if it works.

I must say that the information on the internet that the injections are painful aren't true. They were no more painful than any shot.

Has anyone here had cortisone injections into their back to stop pain?
I think my mother-in-law has had shots as one describes, and possibly for the same reason, but not related to falls. The shots apparently work.

A boyfriend I had a long time ago had one in his shoulder. He passed out from the pain of the shot...I don't recall if he had any injury due to fainting.

It did seem to help the shoulder, though.

lisab said:
A boyfriend I had a long time ago had one in his shoulder. He passed out from the pain of the shot...I don't recall if he had any injury due to fainting.

It did seem to help the shoulder, though.
Considering how much pain I was already in, the shots were nothing. I am really hoping the injections work. I'm supposed to call the doctor if they work, or in a week if nothing happens.

The pain relief should last from a few weeks to a few months, then will have to be repeated, unfortunately, the relief, if any, is only temporary. My condition is degenerative.

ouch... and you say you have received damage to your sacroilac? and its degenerative?
i am curious to know what has happened during one of your falls or multiple to cause that... do you know?

Apparently problems with the sacroiliac joints are rather common, and apparently more after menopause.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/buttocks/sacroiliac.htm

Traumatic injuries to the SIJ are caused when there is a sudden impact which 'jolts' the joint. A common example is landing on the buttocks. This kind of injury usually causes damage to the ligaments which support the joint.

. . . .

Hormonal changes, most notably during pregnancy can cause sacroiliac pain. In preparation for giving birth, the ligaments of the pelvis especially increase in laxity. Combining this with an increase in weight putting extra strain on the spine, may lead to mechanical changes which can result in pain.

. . . .
The change in hormones, particularly after menopause, exacerbates SIJ injury.

What can you do to treat sacroiliac joint pain yourself?

Rest from any activities which cause pain.
If the surrounding muscles have tightened up, use a warm-pack to help them relax.
Don't heat if an inflammatory condition is suspected.
Anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen may be helpful. Always check with your Doctor first.
Try wearing a sacroiliac belt
Good luck with the treatment.

. . . .
If the above treatment fails, a Corticosteroid injection into the SIJ may be used.

RazorRose said:
ouch... and you say you have received damage to your sacroilac? and its degenerative?
i am curious to know what has happened during one of your falls or multiple to cause that... do you know?
My fall down the stairs showed that I had tiny bone fragments that broke off and were causing inflamation, that was over 10 yuears ago. They said the fragments were too tiny to remove surgically, I'm sure the two subsequent falls where I landed on the base of my spine (and broke my arm each time) didn't help.

Ok, day two, now I'm sore from the injections, so it's worse than before the injections. Hopefully tomorrow will see improvement.

Day 5, I am still in more pain now than before the injections, probably due to the painful swollen lump from one of the injections and the fact it didn't seem to relieve the original pain either.

Oh well.

Evo said:
Day 5, I am still in more pain now than before the injections, probably due to the painful swollen lump from one of the injections and the fact it didn't seem to relieve the original pain either.

Oh well.
:frown: When do you go back to the doctor? Can one go back sooner if it appears that the shot(s) are not working?

How did the doctor ensure that the injections actually went into the joints?

Astronuc said:
:frown: When do you go back to the doctor? Can one go back sooner if it appears that the shot(s) are not working?
I'm supposed to call if they don't work.

How did the doctor ensure that the injections actually went into the joints?
He guessed.

Evo said:
I'm supposed to call if they don't work.

He guessed.
:bugeye: :eek:

Um - in what kind of primitive society do you live?!

I think he missed.

just be careful, do your research, and get a second or third opinion. too many cortisone shots over time can erode connective tissue. don't know if it can actually dissolve bone, though it is technically connective tissue . anyway, sorry to hear this, it sounds like they're saying there is no way to fix your problem, only to find ways to treat the pain and inflammation.

1. What is a cortisone injection?

A cortisone injection is a type of medication that contains a synthetic version of the hormone cortisol. It is commonly used to reduce inflammation and pain in the body.

2. How does a cortisone injection provide relief for sacroiliac joints?

A cortisone injection is administered directly into the sacroiliac joint, which is where the spine connects to the pelvis. The medication works by reducing inflammation and swelling in the joint, which can alleviate pain and discomfort.

3. Is a cortisone injection painful?

The injection itself may cause some discomfort, but the procedure is typically done under local anesthesia to minimize any pain. Some patients may experience mild soreness at the injection site for a few days after the procedure.

4. How long does the pain relief from a cortisone injection last?

The duration of pain relief can vary from person to person. Some patients may experience relief for a few weeks, while others may experience relief for several months. In some cases, multiple injections may be needed for longer-lasting relief.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with cortisone injections?

As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects. These may include temporary pain or discomfort at the injection site, temporary flare-up of pain, infection, and thinning of the skin. It is important to discuss any potential risks with your doctor before undergoing a cortisone injection.