Drag torque of rotating cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the drag torque acting on a rotating cylinder or flat plate. The equation for drag parallel to the flow is mentioned, but it is noted that this will not cause the cylinder to rotate about its axis. The conversation then delves into the idea of calculating the force on a differential element and integrating it over the length of the cylinder. Finally, the topic of impeller power and torque is brought up, with a reference to a book on industrial mixing.
FishJaws
Hey folks,

New to the forum and eager to tap the resources of all your brilliant minds.

Here's the problem. I'm modeling a system as a cylinder rotating on its end. Under a dynamic equilibrium situation with an applied force of a known value, I know its angular acceleration and instantaneous velocity.

How would one find the drag torque acting on the cylinder? I know the drag coefficient, area, and angular velocity of course, but need to apply it all to this drag force equation, Fd=-(1/2)*Cd*A*p*v^2,

where Cd is the drag coefficient, p the density of the medium (water in this case), and v the linear velocity.

Do you'll have a differential and derivative you can pull out of the air, something that accounts for the moment arm?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
FishJaws said:
Hey folks,

New to the forum and eager to tap the resources of all your brilliant minds.

Here's the problem. I'm modeling a system as a cylinder rotating on its end. Under a dynamic equilibrium situation with an applied force of a known value, I know its angular acceleration and instantaneous velocity.

How would one find the drag torque acting on the cylinder? I know the drag coefficient, area, and angular velocity of course, but need to apply it all to this drag force equation, Fd=-(1/2)*Cd*A*p*v^2,

where Cd is the drag coefficient, p the density of the medium (water in this case), and v the linear velocity.

Do you'll have a differential and derivative you can pull out of the air, something that accounts for the moment arm?

Many thanks!

The equation you have written for drag is the drag parallel to the flow. That drag force will not cause the cylinder to rotate about its axis nor will it oppose that motion. To determine that force you would need to calculate the shear force acting on the surface of cylinder. So you would need information about the boundary layer around the circumference.

Thanks, Random. Would the same be the case if I modeled the system as a flat plate rotating on end?

I was sure that I could integrate area along the moment arm based on my original equation using the appropriate Cd for the shape. Bummer.

Thanks again.

FishJaws said:
Thanks, Random. Would the same be the case if I modeled the system as a flat plate rotating on end?

I was sure that I could integrate area along the moment arm based on my original equation using the appropriate Cd for the shape. Bummer.

Thanks again.

Let me first make sure I am understanding you. Do you mean the cylinder will be rotating about its cylindrical axis? Because that what I was referring to in my first post. What exactly do you mean rotating on end?

Ok, so you disregard my previous comments.

I have an idea of how to solve this hopefully it is correct. Basically I calculated the force on a differential element of length dr and then integrated over the length of the cylinder. I have attached my solution. Hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited:
Random, you're a life life saver. This does indeed make sense. Lots of thanks for the help!

1. What is drag torque of a rotating cylinder?

Drag torque is the force that opposes the rotation of a cylinder caused by the interaction between the cylinder and the surrounding fluid. It is a measure of the resistance experienced by the cylinder as it rotates through the fluid.

2. How is drag torque calculated?

Drag torque is calculated by multiplying the drag force acting on the cylinder by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. This distance is known as the lever arm and is typically denoted by the symbol "r". The formula for drag torque is: Drag torque = Drag force x Lever arm.

3. What factors affect the drag torque of a rotating cylinder?

The drag torque of a rotating cylinder is affected by several factors, including the cylinder's shape and size, the fluid density and viscosity, the rotational speed of the cylinder, and the flow conditions of the surrounding fluid. Additionally, the presence of any surface roughness or imperfections on the cylinder can also impact the drag torque.

4. How is drag torque related to drag coefficient?

The drag torque of a rotating cylinder is directly proportional to the drag coefficient of the cylinder. The drag coefficient is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of drag force experienced by an object in a fluid flow. A higher drag coefficient indicates a higher drag torque and a greater resistance to rotation.

5. Can drag torque be reduced?

Yes, drag torque can be reduced by various methods, such as changing the shape or size of the cylinder, altering the fluid properties, or adjusting the rotational speed. Additionally, adding a streamlined fairing or coating to the cylinder can also help reduce drag torque by reducing the amount of interaction between the cylinder and the fluid.