Portable Solar Panel Idea?

In summary: Overall, this sounds like a feasible project, but it may be more difficult than you think. You may want to go ahead and get started on it, and track your progress along the way.
Katie_Bear
(I would've put this in the homework section except it didn't follow the template.. :P I'm really sorry)

For a Science Fair project I want to make a portable energy source with solar panels. I'm thinking of making a cube of panels with the deep cycle battery within the cube. Then to make it more structurally sound I could put a plexiglass sphere around the cube with supports holding the cube in the middle.

I'm wondering if I could place a mirror in the sphere (or replace part of the plastic sphere with a mirror) to make the panels more efficient? Does this make any sense? I'm thinking the mirror would take up most of the bottom half of the sphere when it's on the ground... Or would multiple mirrors be better if I do end up using mirrors.

Would putting the battery within an enclosed spot like this turn out very, very bad?

Would the sphere plus the glass covering create too much shadow over the cells to create enough energy?

I just started throwing this idea around so I haven't really attempted to put any specs together yet, but I'm assuming this would have to be pretty large to be worthwile. About the size of a fitness orb maybe?

Is this even a feasible project? i just figured that since they banned volcanoes I should go all out ;D.

Or should I just give'r and see what happens?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Katie_Bear said:
(I would've put this in the homework section except it didn't follow the template.. :P I'm really sorry)

For a Science Fair project I want to make a portable energy source with solar panels. I'm thinking of making a cube of panels with the deep cycle battery within the cube. Then to make it more structurally sound I could put a plexiglass sphere around the cube with supports holding the cube in the middle.

I'm wondering if I could place a mirror in the sphere (or replace part of the plastic sphere with a mirror) to make the panels more efficient? Does this make any sense? I'm thinking the mirror would take up most of the bottom half of the sphere when it's on the ground... Or would multiple mirrors be better if I do end up using mirrors.

Would putting the battery within an enclosed spot like this turn out very, very bad?

Would the sphere plus the glass covering create too much shadow over the cells to create enough energy?

I just started throwing this idea around so I haven't really attempted to put any specs together yet, but I'm assuming this would have to be pretty large to be worthwile. About the size of a fitness orb maybe?

Is this even a feasible project? i just figured that since they banned volcanoes I should go all out ;D.

Or should I just give'r and see what happens?

Welcome to the PF!

It will be most efficient if you can have the sunlight hit all of the solar cells at normal incidence (straight on). So pointing cells away from the direction of the sun is generally not a good idea, even with some mirror setup. If you want to use mirrors to gather more light, you would probably still want to keep the panel(s) facing the sun, and put the mirrors around the edges to bounce more light onto the panel(s).

Can you do any tracking of the sun with your project? That should be the most efficient arrangement, as long as you don't use much power to move the panel(s).

1. How do portable solar panels work?

Portable solar panels work by converting sunlight into electricity through photovoltaic (PV) cells. These cells are made of silicon and when exposed to sunlight, they produce a flow of electrons, creating an electric current. This current is then captured and stored in a battery, which can be used to power various devices or appliances.

2. What are the benefits of using portable solar panels?

The main benefits of using portable solar panels are their convenience and environmental friendliness. They are lightweight, easy to transport, and can be used in remote areas without access to electricity. They also do not produce any harmful emissions and rely on renewable energy sources, making them a sustainable option for power generation.

3. How efficient are portable solar panels?

The efficiency of portable solar panels varies depending on factors such as the quality of materials used, weather conditions, and positioning of the panels. On average, portable solar panels have an efficiency of 15-20%, meaning they can convert 15-20% of the sunlight they receive into electricity.

4. Can portable solar panels be used to charge multiple devices at once?

Yes, portable solar panels can be used to charge multiple devices at once. However, the number of devices that can be charged simultaneously will depend on the size and capacity of the solar panel and the devices being charged. It is important to check the specifications of the solar panel to ensure it can handle multiple devices.

5. How durable are portable solar panels?

The durability of portable solar panels can vary depending on the quality of materials and construction. Generally, they are designed to be durable and withstand outdoor conditions, but it is important to follow proper care and maintenance instructions to ensure their longevity. Some portable solar panels also come with warranties to protect against any defects or damage.