Coulomb Force Point Charges on Cube

In summary: I think that looks right. What do you get for the final magnitude of the force...In summary, the magnitude of the coulomb force on each charge on the cube with side L (m) is 3.69Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0l^2.
wonderswan
Hello, I'm having a little trouble with this:

Homework Statement

Identical charges of Q (C) are located at the eight corners of a cube with side L (m). Show that the coulomb force on each charge has magnitude:

[tex]3.29Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0l^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F = \frac{Q_1Q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^2}\cdot\hat{a}\ \ (N)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The total force at the point observed (at origin) is the sum of the seven other vertices of the cube. As we are concerned with the magnitude we can neglect the vector (I'm unsure about this).

[tex]F = Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0\cdot\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{7}\frac{1}{R^2_n}[/tex]

[tex]R_1 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_2 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(0,-1,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_3 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_4 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-1,-1,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_5 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-0,-1,-1)[/tex]
[tex]R_6 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,-1)[/tex]
[tex]R_7 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2 +(-l)^2} = \sqrt{3l^2} \ \ \small(-1,-1,-1)[/tex]

[tex]F = Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0\left[3\left(\frac{1}{l^2}\right)+3\left(\frac{1}{2l^2}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{3l^2}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]= 4.8\dot{3}Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0l^2[/tex]

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wonderswan said:
Hello, I'm having a little trouble with this:

Homework Statement

Identical charges of Q (C) are located at the eight corners of a cube with side L (m). Show that the coulomb force on each charge has magnitude:

[tex]3.29Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0l^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F = \frac{Q_1Q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^2}\cdot\hat{a}\ \ (N)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The total force at the point observed (at origin) is the sum of the seven other vertices of the cube. As we are concerned with the magnitude we can neglect the vector (I'm unsure about this).

[tex]F = Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0\cdot\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{7}\frac{1}{R^2_n}[/tex]

[tex]R_1 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_2 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(0,-1,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_3 = \sqrt{(-l)^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_4 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-1,-1,0)[/tex]
[tex]R_5 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-0,-1,-1)[/tex]
[tex]R_6 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2} = \sqrt{2l^2} \ \ \small(-1,0,-1)[/tex]
[tex]R_7 = \sqrt{(-l)^2+(-l)^2 +(-l)^2} = \sqrt{3l^2} \ \ \small(-1,-1,-1)[/tex]

[tex]F = Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0\left[3\left(\frac{1}{l^2}\right)+3\left(\frac{1}{2l^2}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{3l^2}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]= 4.8\dot{3}Q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0l^2[/tex]

Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the PF!

This is the problem:
we can neglect the vector (I'm unsure about this).

You cannot neglect it. You need to do the vector sum first, and then you can take the magnitude of the resultant vector.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF!

This is the problem:You cannot neglect it. You need to do the vector sum first, and then you can take the magnitude of the resultant vector.

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm not sure where I can get the 3.69 value. The resultant vector is [tex]4l\hat{i}+4l\hat{j}+4l\hat{k}[/tex].

[tex]F = \frac{Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^2}\cdot\hat{a}[/tex]

Is R the magnitude of the resultant vector - it would be [tex]\sqrt{48l^2}[/tex]?

I think I'm getting confused.

wonderswan said:
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm not sure where I can get the 3.69 value. The resultant vector is [tex]4l\hat{i}+4l\hat{j}+4l\hat{k}[/tex].

[tex]F = \frac{Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^2}\cdot\hat{a}[/tex]

Is R the magnitude of the resultant vector - it would be [tex]\sqrt{48l^2}[/tex]?

I think I'm getting confused.

Can you show how you got that resultant vector?

And BTW, it doesn't matter for the answer, but for me the math is easier if you choose the charge at the origin for the test charge, and put the other charges along the 3 axes (plus the one at the far corner of the cube at L,L,L).

berkeman said:
Can you show how you got that resultant vector?

And BTW, it doesn't matter for the answer, but for me the math is easier if you choose the charge at the origin for the test charge, and put the other charges along the 3 axes (plus the one at the far corner of the cube at L,L,L).

I have also put the charges along the axis as you have described. So the vector caused by each charge:

[tex](1,0,0) \ \ a_1 = -l\hat{i}[/tex]
[tex](0,1,0) \ \ a_2 = -l\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex](0,0,1) \ \ a_3 = -l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,1,0) \ \ a_4 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex](0,1,1) \ \ a_5 = -l\hat{j}-l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,0,1) \ \ a_6 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,1,1) \ \ a_7 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}-l\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]a_{res} = -4l\hat{i}-4\hat{j}-4\hat{k}[/tex]

wonderswan said:
I have also put the charges along the axis as you have described. So the vector caused by each charge:

[tex](1,0,0) \ \ a_1 = -l\hat{i}[/tex]
[tex](0,1,0) \ \ a_2 = -l\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex](0,0,1) \ \ a_3 = -l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,1,0) \ \ a_4 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex](0,1,1) \ \ a_5 = -l\hat{j}-l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,0,1) \ \ a_6 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex](1,1,1) \ \ a_7 = -l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}-l\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]a_{res} = -4l\hat{i}-4\hat{j}-4\hat{k}[/tex]

I don't think that's how you should sum things up. For each charge, you need to find the force vector components on the test charge at the origin. You have directions in the above, but not the magnitudes of the forces, which vary inversely with distance^2...

Is this the sum of the individual force components (the vectors are in brackets)?

[tex]\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}}{l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{j}}{l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{k}}{l}\right][/tex]

[tex]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right][/tex]

[tex]+\frac{kQ^2}{3l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{3}l}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
wonderswan said:
Is this the sum of the individual force components (the vectors are in brackets)?

[tex]\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}}{l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{j}}{l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{k}}{l}\right][/tex]

[tex]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right][/tex]

[tex]+\frac{kQ^2}{3l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}-l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{3}l}\right][/tex]

I think that looks right. What do you get for the final magnitude of the force sum?

Okay here's the next step.

[tex]\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\left[\frac{-l\hat{i}-l\hat{j}-l\hat{k}}{l}\right][/tex]

[tex]+\frac{kQ^2}{2l^2}\left[\frac{-2l\hat{i}-2l\hat{j}-2l\hat{k}}{\sqrt{2}l}\right][/tex]

I don't know how to add them to find the resultant magnitude?

wonderswan said:

I just joined this forum to ask this:

Why are you dividing the vectors components by it's magnitude?

MindZiper said:
I just joined this forum to ask this:

Why are you dividing the vectors components by it's magnitude?

NVM. I got it. But I'm stuck at adding the components, just like wonderswan.

Hello MindZiper,

This post was made months ago so I thank you for reminding me of it.

I think I can provide the correct answer - in fact I've noticed some mistakes I made previously so to clarify I will write it step by step. Firstly something important:

We must find the magnitude of the resultant force vector. This is very important, the magnitude is:
[tex]\Vert{a}\Vert = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

To find the vector [tex]a[/tex], we must add the individual force components. Here are the individual components:

[tex]F_1 = \frac {kQ^2} {l^2} [-\hat{i}][/tex]
[tex]F_2 = \frac {kQ^2} {l^2} [-\hat{j}][/tex]
[tex]F_3 = \frac {kQ^2} {l^2} [-\hat{k}][/tex]
[tex]F_4 = \frac 1 {2\sqrt{2}} \left(\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\right)[-\hat{i}-\hat{j}][/tex]
[tex]F_5 = \frac 1 {2\sqrt{2}} \left(\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\right)[-\hat{j}-\hat{k}][/tex]
[tex]F_6 = \frac 1 {2\sqrt{2}} \left(\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\right)[-\hat{i}-\hat{k}][/tex]
[tex]F_7 = \frac 1 {3\sqrt{3}} \left(\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\right)[-\hat{i}-\hat{j}-\hat{k}][/tex]

And the total gives us:

[tex]F_{RES} = \left(\frac{kQ^2}{l^2}\right)\left(1+\frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} + \frac 1 {3\sqrt{3}}\right)[-\hat{i}-\hat{j}-\hat{k}][/tex]

The magnitude of this vector, from above, is:

[tex]\Vert{a}\Vert = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

where the individual components x, y and z (or of i, j and k) are the same.

[tex]\Vert{a}\Vert = \sqrt{3x^2}[/tex]

So

[tex]\Vert{a}\Vert = \sqrt{3\left(1+\frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} + \frac 1 {3\sqrt{3}}\right)^2} \left(\frac {kQ^2} {l^2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Vert{a}\Vert \simeq \frac {3.29Q^2} {4\pi\epsilon_0 l^2}[/tex]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
wonderswan,

I figured how to do it on my own. It was tedious, but I got it. I was so happy that I forgot to post it on here lol

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:Edit: I figured how to do the whole vector stuff from this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3097965&postcount=11

So I simply added everything together, then multiplied the scalars by the vectors to get 3 vectors and then add the 3 together. Then square them, add them and square root them. And BAM.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do point charges behave on a cube?

Point charges on a cube will experience a Coulomb force based on their individual charges, distances from each other, and the orientation of the cube's sides.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Coulomb force between two point charges on a cube?

The formula for calculating the Coulomb force between two point charges on a cube is F = k(q1q2)/d^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and d is the distance between the charges.

4. How does the distance between point charges affect the Coulomb force on a cube?

The Coulomb force between point charges on a cube is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the orientation of the cube's sides affect the Coulomb force between point charges?

Yes, the orientation of the cube's sides can affect the Coulomb force between point charges. The force will be different depending on which sides the charges are located on and the angle at which they are facing each other.