Can Anyone Help with Sizing Pipe Threaded Elements?

In summary, the speaker is looking for guide rules to determine the size of pipe threaded elements such as safety valves, threaded pipes, pressure gauges, and caps. They are hoping to find a simple external measurement method rather than taking multiple measurements and consulting tables. The suggestion is made to use dimension charts for National Pipe Thread Taper (NPT) and to reference a catalogue from a company that sells connectors such as Swagelok or Autoclave engineers.
guideonl
Hi to everyone,

I have a problem with sizing pipe threaded elements. I am looking for guide rules that with a simple external meassurement I'll be able to determine the element size such as safety valves,threaded pipes,pressure gages,caps etc.
To clarify my question, hereby an example, when I meassure 1/2" safety valve, I can't relate the 1/2" to the actual possible meassurements (ext/int dia) of this valve.
The same problem, when meassuring a threaded hole in a vessele..
I hope that I need not to take several meassurements (ext&int dia, thickness, pitch, number of threads per inch...) and than look at the tables to which size it fits.

Thanks, Guideon

Engineering news on Phys.org
The threads are probably National Pipe Thread Taper (NPT). You can find dimension charts online.

guideonl said:
simple external meassurement I'll be able to determine the element size such as safety valves,threaded pipes,pressure gages,caps etc.

I once made a keyring with a set of threads on it, then I could just line them up with whatever I wanted to check.

Thanks, Guideon

This sort of thing is done by standard. You can use loads of different thread types. NPT are good for about 10k psi if I remember correctly. Above that you'll need to use something different.

Look at a catalogue of someone who sells connetors. So Swagelok, Autoclave engineers, etc.

1. What is the purpose of sizing pipe threaded elements?

The purpose of sizing pipe threaded elements is to ensure that they fit together properly and create a secure and leak-proof connection. This is important for the efficient flow of fluids through the pipe system.

2. How do you determine the size of pipe threaded elements?

The size of pipe threaded elements is determined by measuring the outer diameter of the pipe and the inner diameter of the fitting. These measurements are then compared to a standardized sizing chart to determine the corresponding size.

3. Can different types of pipe threaded elements be used together?

In general, it is not recommended to mix different types of pipe threaded elements (e.g. NPT and BSP) as they have different thread patterns and may not fit together properly. It is best to stick to one type of threading for a secure connection.

4. How do you ensure a proper seal when sizing pipe threaded elements?

A proper seal can be ensured by using a thread sealant, such as Teflon tape or pipe dope, on the threads before connecting the elements. This creates a tight seal and prevents leaks.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when sizing pipe threaded elements?

In addition to size, it is important to consider the material and pressure rating of the pipe and fittings. Using elements with different materials or pressure ratings can result in a weak or faulty connection.