Notification of subscribed threads on mobile

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, it would be much more convenient if Physics Forums had a Mobile Notification Facility. However, subscribers can still receive e-mail notifications.
Saitama
Hi!
It is very sad to know that Physics Forums don't have a facility of Mobile Notification for the subscribed threads. Like Facebook gives instant notification on our mobile phones, Physics Forums does not have this facility. It would be much convenient since again and again opening the PC for checking the notification is time consuming!

Physics news on Phys.org
But you can set PF up so that you receive email subscriptions. Most phones nowadays can retrieve email...

cristo said:
But you can set PF up so that you receive email subscriptions. Most phones nowadays can retrieve email...

Ya i know but most of the users may have mobile which don't support e-mail.

I still doubt it would be used much. If you're a person who really wants these notifications (typically your younger member) then you'll likely have a smartphone, otherwise you'll be happy logging into PF through your computer.

Also, it's good to remember that PF is nothing like the size of facebook: we have 0 staff on the payroll!

Pranav-Arora said:
Ya i know but most of the users may have mobile which don't support e-mail.

Wait, you're wanting to help people who have phones without e-mail, yet you're suggesting what I can imagine is an 'app', which those phones won't support it anyways?

Pengwuino said:
Wait, you're wanting to help people who have phones without e-mail, yet you're suggesting what I can imagine is an 'app', which those phones won't support it anyways?

I am not suggesting an app, i am suggesting notification using SMS.

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not suggesting an app, i am suggesting notification using SMS.

ahhh

I used to have email notification on my iphone but it was too distracting. Getting 30 odd emails a day wasn't helping my workload.

I just checked with my smartphone.

It turns out that I can't find whether there are any posts in the threads I'm subscribed to.
There seems to be no shortcut to see the subscribed threads.
That is, when I enter through https://www.physicsforums.com.

However, I found a workaround by going to: https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php [Broken].
Here I can see my subscribed threads! :smile:

And of course, besides that, I also get e-mail notifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even imagine subscribing to a thread. I deal with way too many.

Evo said:
I can't even imagine subscribing to a thread. I deal with way too many.

Yes, but then, you're a god like creature! :wink:
(How do you do it?!)

I like Serena said:
Yes, but then, you're a god like creature! :wink:
(How do you do it?!)

The ways of the Supreme Lard are inscrutable. o:)

micromass said:
The ways of the Supreme Lard are inscrutable. o:)
I have nightmares about threads, I don't need to subscribe to them.

Evo said:

I wish you could subscribe to people. That would bring endless joy for me.

Pengwuino said:
I wish you could subscribe to people. That would bring endless joy for me.
I can e-mail you every time I do something.

Evo said:

How do you do it, to respond so quickly if you don't have a notification in place? :confused:

I like Serena said:
How do you do it, to respond so quickly if you don't have a notification in place? :confused:
I just notice that a reply has been made.

Evo said:

Doesn't that mean you have forum lists open all the time, and that you keep refreshing them?
I can see that it would work for 1 or 2 sub forums... but I post in many more.

Edit: Wait! I think I get it. I think you have the main forum page open and refresh it when you're done with a post!

Last edited:
There's a search option for new posts!

Evo said:

Well that's bloody impressive! I need subscriptions just to track what I'm saying let alone other people.

1. What is the purpose of "Notification of subscribed threads on mobile"?

The purpose of "Notification of subscribed threads on mobile" is to keep users updated on any new activity or replies on threads that they have subscribed to on their mobile device. This feature allows users to stay connected and informed even when they are not actively browsing the forum.

2. How does the notification system work for subscribed threads on mobile?

When a user subscribes to a thread on their mobile device, they will receive push notifications whenever there is new activity or replies on that thread. The notification will appear on their device's notification panel, and they can click on it to be directed to the forum and view the new updates.

3. Can I customize the notification settings for subscribed threads on mobile?

Yes, users have the option to customize their notification settings for subscribed threads on mobile. They can choose to receive notifications for all new activity, only replies to their comments, or turn off notifications altogether.

4. Are there any benefits to using the "Notification of subscribed threads on mobile" feature?

Yes, there are several benefits to using this feature. It allows users to stay connected and engaged with the forum, even when they are on-the-go. They can also quickly respond to new activity on their subscribed threads without having to actively check the forum.

5. Is the "Notification of subscribed threads on mobile" feature available for all devices?

Yes, this feature is available for all devices that have the forum's mobile app installed. Users can receive notifications on both iOS and Android devices, as well as tablets and other mobile devices.