Complex analysis inequality proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality |ez-1|≤e|z|-1≤|z|e|z| using the triangle inequality and the power series expansion of e^z. The question is raised whether |ez| equals e|z| and the conclusion is made that they are equal when z is real and the inequality holds when z has some imaginary part. It is also noted that the equality may not hold for negative real values of z.
shebbbbo
Prove for all Z E C

|ez-1| [itex]\leq[/itex] e|z| - 1 [itex]\leq[/itex] |z|e|z|

I think this has to be proven using the triangle inequality but not sure how.

Please help. :)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the triangle inequality along with the power series expansion e^z=1+z+z^2/2!+...

great thanks...

quick question:

does |ez| = e|z| ?

shebbbbo said:
great thanks...

quick question:

does |ez| = e|z| ?

You tell me. Use the series expansion to compare them.

thanks!

shebbbbo said:
thanks!

Glad you got it. Just out of curiousity, what did you conclude about the truth of |e^z|=e^|z|?

Once i expanded them i realized they looked exactly like the triangle inequality where the modulus of the summation of terms was less than or equal to the modulus of each term summed.

i didnt try to conclude |e^z| = e^|z|

from what i was reading i think they are equal when z is real and the inequality holds when z has some imaginary part. but not too sure...

shebbbbo said:
Once i expanded them i realized they looked exactly like the triangle inequality where the modulus of the summation of terms was less than or equal to the modulus of each term summed.

i didnt try to conclude |e^z| = e^|z|

from what i was reading i think they are equal when z is real and the inequality holds when z has some imaginary part. but not too sure...

Good. That's about it. Except that they aren't necessarily equal when z is real and negative either, yes? It's only clearly true if z is real and postive.

yeah good point.

thanks for all your help!

1. What is complex analysis inequality?

Complex analysis inequality refers to a mathematical concept that involves the use of complex numbers to prove mathematical inequalities. It is a branch of mathematics that combines the study of complex numbers with the techniques of calculus and analysis.

2. How is complex analysis used to prove inequalities?

Complex analysis uses the properties of complex numbers, such as their magnitude and argument, to prove inequalities. By representing real numbers as complex numbers on a complex plane, complex analysis provides a geometric interpretation for proving inequalities.

3. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis inequality proofs?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis inequality proofs include the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the triangle inequality, and the principle of maximum modulus. These techniques involve manipulating complex numbers and using properties of complex functions to prove inequalities.

4. Why is complex analysis important in mathematics?

Complex analysis plays a crucial role in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and physics. It provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving complex numbers and has applications in many fields, including engineering, economics, and computer science.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complex analysis inequality proofs?

Yes, complex analysis inequality proofs have real-world applications in areas such as signal processing, control theory, and optimization. They are also used in physics to study the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.