Mathematics for electronics engineer

In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the approach that is required will vary depending on the particular problem that is being addressed. However, some books that may be useful include: "The Mathematical Modelling of Real-World Systems" by N.J.A. Sloane, "Mathematical Models in Real World Systems" by P.J. Cain, and "Modelling and Simulation of Complex Systems" by J.D. Haken. In summary, Tashi is modelling organic FETs and is looking for literature recommendations on modelling real-world systems.
write2rammy
Hello all,
I am currently working on modelling organic FETs. I would like to know if there exists any book that can help me in modelling i.e. I have a curve and I need a method or approach as to how this can be represented using an eqn. Also I need some literature recommendation for approximations (Taylor's expansion etc. ) to dilute complex eqns to simpler ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
write2rammy said:
how this can be represented using an eqn..

You aren't making it clear what "this" refers to. You say that you doing modelling. A model for a physical situation can be a complicated representation that contains many equations and algorithms. Or it could be one equation fit to some empirical data.

Exactly what sort of model are you dealing with? In the math section, there might be a shortage of experts on Field Effect Transistors, so don't assume your readers know about them. As to "organic" FETs, I don't know what those are.

Hello Tashi,
Thank you for your reply. My task is to develop a empirical model that is simple and closely mimics the current (Ids) behaviour of the transistor. Organic field effect transistors (FET) are a kind of MOSFET but with an organic semiconductor. The current output when plotted looks like that of a silicon MOSFET but with more non-linearities. My task is to use the same model eqns of a silicon MOSFET and supplement with appropriate equations to model the non-linearitites present in organic FET. I have read something similar in few semiconductor modeling books, where the author uses a funtion [sqrt(Vds + Const) - sqrt(Vds)] to model the short channel effect (a kind of non-linearity) in the case of silicon MOSFET. I can visualize when the function is a simple sqrt, square, exp etc. But it gets hard, when there is superposition of 2 or more functions.
Moreover, we have come across hundreds of mathematical functions. But only a handful of this is required to model the real world systems emphirically. Is there any book that explains in detail the mathematical (emphirical) modeling of real world systems in a systematic way.

1. What is the importance of mathematics in electronics engineering?

Mathematics is essential in electronics engineering because it provides the fundamental concepts and tools needed for analyzing and solving complex problems in the field. It is used in circuit design, signal processing, and other areas of electronics engineering to model and understand the behavior of electronic systems.

2. What specific areas of mathematics are most relevant for electronics engineering?

Some of the key areas of mathematics for electronics engineering include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and differential equations. These branches of math are used to solve problems related to circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems.

3. How does mathematics help in the design and troubleshooting of electronic circuits?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in the design and troubleshooting of electronic circuits by providing the necessary tools for analyzing and predicting the behavior of these circuits. By using mathematical models and equations, engineers can understand how different components and signals will interact within a circuit, and make informed design decisions or troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

4. Can a strong background in mathematics compensate for a lack of practical experience in electronics engineering?

While a strong understanding of mathematics is important for electronics engineering, it cannot completely compensate for a lack of practical experience. Practical experience is necessary to apply mathematical concepts in real-world situations and to develop the skills and intuition needed to design and troubleshoot complex electronic systems.

5. How can someone improve their mathematical skills for electronics engineering?

Improving mathematical skills for electronics engineering can be achieved through practice and persistence. It is important to regularly review and apply mathematical concepts in the context of electronics engineering problems. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online courses, and practice problems can also help to strengthen mathematical abilities in this field.