What is the application of Taylor expansion in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Taylor expansion in physics and the confusion around its general equation. The conversation also touches upon the expansion of x-kx and the incorrect first term x. The correct formula for Taylor expansion is mentioned and the process of expanding a function around a point is explained. A question about defining the point a is also brought up. Finally, the usefulness of Taylor expansion for approximating values close to a point is discussed.
quietrain
i am very confuse how my profs always use taylor expansion in physics which somehow doesn't follow the general equation of

f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2 and so on...

like for example, what is the taylor expansion of x - kx where k is small

it was given as something like

x - kx f'(x) + (1/2) k2 x2 f''(x) + ...

is this taylor expansion? but there is no 'about which point, i.e, a=? '

i don't even understand how the first term x is gotten. f(a) = x??

please help thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi quietrain! :smile:
quietrain said:
… something like …

hmm :rolleyes: … but not exactly like!

the (x)s should be a, and the x at the start should be f(a) :wink:

(and k = x - a)

Hi quietrain! :)

Suppose you expand f(a-kx).

You would get: f(a-kx) = f(a) - kx f'(a) + (1/2) k2 x2 f''(a) + ...

Now replace "a" with "x"...
Apparently you've got a typo in the first term.

EDIT: Oops, :smile:TM got here first!

quietrain said:
TT and ILS have done a great job of guessing what you meant, but you should probably explain what function you really wanted to expand. (The Taylor expansion of x-kx is x-kx, so that's probably not it :smile:).

quietrain said:
i am very confuse how my profs always use taylor expansion in physics which somehow doesn't follow the general equation of

please help thank you!

Fix x, and let g(k) = f(x-kx). Expand as g(k) = g(0) + k*g'(0) + (k^2/2)*g''(0) + ...
g(0) = f(x), g'(k) = -x*f'(x-kx) --> g'(0) = -x*f'(x), g''(k) = x^2*f''(x-kx) --> g''(0) = x^2*f''(x), etc.

RGV

hi everyone thanks for helping

but the taylor expansion was for x-kx

or perhaps only -kx was expanded?

but anyway it was given as x - kx f'(x) + ...
I like Serena said:
Hi quietrain! :)

Suppose you expand f(a-kx).

You would get: f(a-kx) = f(a) - kx f'(a) + (1/2) k2 x2 f''(a) + ...

Now replace "a" with "x"...
Apparently you've got a typo in the first term.

with regards to the above, how did you get that formula?

because i only know this f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2 as the general formula? in any case, does it mean if i want to expand say 1 + kx

then it would be f(1+kx) = f(1) + kx f'(1) + ...

so f(1) is 1 + k(1) = 1+k?
then f'(1) is k? then where do i put my 1 since i don't have x
also does it mean f'' onwards are all 0?

Ray Vickson said:
Fix x, and let g(k) = f(x-kx). Expand as g(k) = g(0) + k*g'(0) + (k^2/2)*g''(0) + ...
g(0) = f(x), g'(k) = -x*f'(x-kx) --> g'(0) = -x*f'(x), g''(k) = x^2*f''(x-kx) --> g''(0) = x^2*f''(x), etc.

RGV

YES! this is the one. so it was an expansion about the small value k ? and not x? i see.

but in particular, how did you get g'(k) and g'(k)?

is it through the chain rule differentiation?

thanks!

quietrain said:
with regards to the above, how did you get that formula?

because i only know this f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2 as the general formula? in any case, does it mean if i want to expand say 1 + kx

so f(1) is 1 + k(1) = 1+k?
then f'(1) is k? then where do i put my 1 since i don't have x
also does it mean f'' onwards are all 0?

Okay, let's start with the formula you have:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2 + ...
but let's rewrite it with y instead of x to eliminate the ambiguity between the x's.

So:
f(y) = f(a) + f'(a)(y-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(y-a)2 + ...

You want to expand f(x-kx).
To do this, first define y=x-kx, and define a=x.
Then replace all occurrences of y by (x-kx), and replace all occurrences of a by x.

What do you get?Edit: Btw, an alternative formula for Taylor expansion is: f(x+h)=f(x) + h f'(x) + 1/2! h2 f''(x) + ...

Last edited:
quietrain said:
in any case, does it mean if i want to expand say 1 + kx

Your terminology is inaccurate. What you're doing here is to expand ##f## around the point 1 in its domain. The expansion of 1+kx (i.e. the function ##x\mapsto 1+kx##) around 0 (the point I'd assume you have in mind unless you specify another one) is just 1+kx.

I like Serena said:
Okay, let's start with the formula you have:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2 + ...
but let's rewrite it with y instead of x to eliminate the ambiguity between the x's.

So:
f(y) = f(a) + f'(a)(y-a) + 1/2! f''(a)(y-a)2 + ...

You want to expand f(x-kx).
To do this, first define y=x-kx, and define a=x.
Then replace all occurrences of y by (x-kx), and replace all occurrences of a by x.

What do you get?

Edit: Btw, an alternative formula for Taylor expansion is: f(x+h)=f(x) + h f'(x) + 1/2! h2 f''(x) + ...

oh, we can just define a as x?

does it mean i can define a as -kx or -k also?

but i thought a is the point that we evaluate the taylor expansion on?

am i right to say if i taylor expand on a point say x =1 for a curve graph. then as my orders of taylor expansion become greater, the approximation is better too?

Fredrik said:
Your terminology is inaccurate. What you're doing here is to expand ##f## around the point 1 in its domain. The expansion of 1+kx (i.e. the function ##x\mapsto 1+kx##) around 0 (the point I'd assume you have in mind unless you specify another one) is just 1+kx.

oh... do you mean since 1+kx is a straight line, so at the point 0, it is just 1 + kx ?

so if i had a curve, would taylor expansion ( approximation? ) make more sense here?

that means the first term of the expansion gives me a straight line, the 2nd makes it more curve, the 3rd makes it even more like the original curve function?

does it then mean i cannot taylor expand things like 1+kx? i have to expand only curves?

quietrain said:
oh, we can just define a as x?

does it mean i can define a as -kx or -k also?

but i thought a is the point that we evaluate the taylor expansion on?

am i right to say if i taylor expand on a point say x =1 for a curve graph. then as my orders of taylor expansion become greater, the approximation is better too?

"x" and "a" are just letters.
You can replace them by anything you want, as long as you do so consistently and do not mix letters up.
(Note that "x" has 2 different meanings in your problem statement. That's why I introduced "y" - to eliminate one of the two.)

In your original formula f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+...
the expansion is around "a".

In the formula f(x-kx)=f(x)+f'(x)((x-kx)-x)+...= f(x) - kx f'(x) + ...
the expansion is around "x".

quietrain said:
does it then mean i cannot taylor expand things like 1+kx? i have to expand only curves?

If you expand 1+kx around x=0, you are effectively defining f(x)=1+kx, and a=0.
So using your formula to expand it, you get:

f(x)=1+kx
f'(x)=k
f''(x)=0
f'''(x)=0

So:
f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+1/2! f''(a)(x-a)2+...
f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)(x-0)+1/2! f''(0)(x-0)2+...
f(x)=1+k(x-0)+1/2! 0.(x-0)2+ 0 + ...
f(x)=1+kx

Hey! But you already had that! :)

quietrain said:

please help thank you!

I think your expression was copied wrong, or had a misprint: you should have written
f(x) - kx f'(x) + (1/2) k2 x2 f''(x) + ... [with f(x) as the first term, not just x]. You did say the expression was "something like...", which says to me that you were not sure.

RGV

alright thanks everyone!

1. What is Taylor expansion in physics?

Taylor expansion in physics is a mathematical technique used to approximate a complex function by breaking it down into a series of simpler functions. This allows us to better understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state.

2. Why is Taylor expansion important in physics?

Taylor expansion is important in physics because it allows us to approximate complex functions and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It is also used to derive equations of motion and to study the behavior of systems under different conditions.

3. What are the limitations of Taylor expansion in physics?

One limitation of Taylor expansion in physics is that it is only accurate for functions that are smooth and well-behaved. It also becomes less accurate as we move further away from the point of expansion. In addition, it may not be applicable to systems with non-linear behavior.

4. How is Taylor expansion used in practical applications?

Taylor expansion is used in a wide range of practical applications in physics, such as in fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering fields to design and optimize systems, and in data analysis to model and predict trends.

5. Are there other methods for approximating functions besides Taylor expansion?

Yes, there are other methods for approximating functions, such as Fourier series, power series, and numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.