Exploring the Degree of Fields: A Comprehensive Query Guide

In summary, the correct degree of Q(a) over Q is 4, not 5. This is because the minimal polynomial of a over the rationals is x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1. However, the reasoning that {1, a, a^2, a^3, a^4} forms a basis for Q(a) over Q is still correct. There may be a proof that shows [Q(a):Q] = 4 for the same a, but the proof given is not correct.
Ad123q
I'm not sure if my reasoning below is correct or not.

If a=e[itex]\stackrel{\underline{2πi}}{5}[/itex], then Q(a) = {r + sa + ta2 + ua3 +va4 : r,s,t,u,v [itex]\in[/itex] Q} . [Is this correct?]

Then [Q(a):Q] = 5 as {1, a, a2, a3, a4} form a basis for Q(a) as a vector space over Q.

However I am not sure if my reasoning above is correct as I have just seen a proof that [Q(a):Q] = 4 for the same a above.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ad123q said:
I'm not sure if my reasoning below is correct or not.

If a=e[itex]\stackrel{\underline{2πi}}{5}[/itex], then Q(a) = {r + sa + ta2 + ua3 +va4 : r,s,t,u,v [itex]\in[/itex] Q} . [Is this correct?]

*** No, because [itex]\deg_{\mathbb Q}\mathbb Q(a)=\phi(5)=4[/itex] , so any basis has only 4 elements and not 5, as you wrote.

The minimal pol. of [itex]a[/itex] over the rationals is [itex]x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1[/itex] .

DonAntonio

Then [Q(a):Q] = 5 as {1, a, a2, a3, a4} form a basis for Q(a) as a vector space over Q.

However I am not sure if my reasoning above is correct as I have just seen a proof that [Q(a):Q] = 4 for the same a above.

Thanks for your help.

What is the degree of a field?

The degree of a field refers to the number of elements in the field. It is also known as the order of the field.

How is the degree of a field determined?

The degree of a field is determined by the number of elements it contains. For example, a field with 5 elements has a degree of 5.

What is the significance of the degree of a field in mathematics?

The degree of a field is an important concept in abstract algebra and number theory. It helps determine the structure and properties of a field, such as whether it is a finite or infinite field.

Can the degree of a field change?

No, the degree of a field is a fixed characteristic of the field and cannot change. However, the degree of a field extension (a larger field containing the original field) may be different.

How does the degree of a field affect computations?

The degree of a field can affect the complexity of computations involving elements of the field. For example, a field with a large degree may require more complex algorithms for basic arithmetic operations.