question about Ampere's law in vacuum and in matter

by Arham
Tags: ampere, matter, vacuum
Arham
Nov14-12, 07:37 AM
P: 26
Hi

We can derive equation [itex]\nabla.D=\rho_f[/itex] from equation [itex]\nabla.E=\rho/\epsilon_0[/itex]. But what about Ampere's law? I tried to derive [itex]\nabla\times{H}=J_f+\partial{D}/\partial{t}[/itex] from [itex]\nabla\times{B}=\mu_0J+\epsilon_0\mu_0\partial{E}/\partial{t}[/itex] but I could not. This is strange because I thought that Maxwell's equations in vacuum are enough for studying electromagnetic field in any matter and that Maxwell's equations in matter are derivable from them.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
mfb
Nov14-12, 08:05 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840
They are, if you add some assumptions about the material - D proportional (and parallel) to E and so on.
For materials where this is not true, I don't know.
Arham
Nov14-12, 08:14 AM
[itex]\partial{D}/\partial{t}=\epsilon_0\partial{E}/\partial{t}+\partial{P}/\partial{t}[/itex]. The second term is underivable from Ampere's law in vacuum.

mfb
Nov14-12, 08:34 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840

question about Ampere's law in vacuum and in matter

Add the assumption that ##D \propto E##, and it works.

In general, this can be wrong, but I don't know if the regular Maxwell equations work there at all. If ##\epsilon_r## is a tensor (or nonlinear), things can get difficult.
Arham
Nov14-12, 08:44 AM
Dear mfb,

I think I found the solution. [itex]\partial{P}/\partial{t}[/itex] is some kind of current (bound charges are moving). So if we write total current density as [itex]J=J_f+\nabla\times{M}+J_p[/itex] where [itex]J_p[/itex] is polarization current density, we can solve the problem.

Register to reply