Integration cos^2(∏/2cosθ)

In summary, Millenial, you are struggling with a maths problem and you need someone to help you. Wolfram alpha suggests using the identities$$\cos t = \frac{1}{2}(e^{it}+e^{-it})$$(or just ##\cos t = \mbox{Re}[\exp(it)]##)and$$e^{iz\cos\theta} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty i^n J_n(z)e^{in\theta}.$$However, these identities might not be enough to solve the problem.
doey
i facing a maths problem in integrating ∫ cos^2(∏/2cosθ) with limit from 0 to ∏/2,i was panic and struggled a long period of time in solving this,anyone can help me? pls give me the answer in detail tq !

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the integral identity [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{a}f(x)\,dx=\int_{0}^{a}f(a-x)\,dx[/itex].

Why would that help, Millenial?
You change the internal cos(theta) to a sin(theta)..

doey said:
i facing a maths problem in integrating ∫ cos^2(∏/2cosθ) with limit from 0 to ∏/2,i was panic and struggled a long period of time in solving this,anyone can help me? pls give me the answer in detail tq !

First of all, do you mean

(1) [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos^2 (\frac{\pi}{2} \cos\theta) d\theta[/itex]

or

(2) [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos^2 (\frac{\pi}{2\cos \theta}) d\theta[/itex]

Also, which methods do you have at your disposal? Contour integration? Differentiation under the integral sign? Just normal calc II techniques?

micromass said:
First of all, do you mean

or

(2) [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos^2 (\frac{\pi}{2\cos \theta}) d\theta[/itex]

Also, which methods do you have at your disposal? Contour integration? Differentiation under the integral sign? Just normal calc II techniques?

,i am asking this pls let me know the steps it takes

doey said:
,i am asking this pls let me know the steps it takes

Which course is this for? Do you know Bessel functions?? The solution requires this (at least that is what wolfram alpha says).

Just a thought:
We may easily rewrite this equation into the identity:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2}(\frac{\pi}{2}\cos\theta)d\theta+\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^{2}( \frac{\pi}{2}\cos\theta)d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
I feel dreadfully tempted to declare the two integrals to have the same value (the latter being merely a flipped version of the first), but temptation is not proof..

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Just a thought:
We may easily rewrite this equation into the identity:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2}(\frac{\pi}{2}\cos\theta)d\theta+\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^{2}( \frac{\pi}{2}\cos\theta)d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
I feel dreadfully tempted to declare the two integrals to have the same value (the latter being merely a flipped version of the first), but temptation is not proof..

Hmmm, looking at the graph doesn't really convince me that the integrals are equal :frown:

Anyway, wolfram alpha gives us

[itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos^2(\frac{\pi}{2} \cos(x))dx = \frac{\pi}{4}(1+J_0(\pi))[/itex]

so I doubt the integral will be solvable with methods like these.

Last edited by a moderator:
To evaluate the integral one will have to use the identities

$$\cos t = \frac{1}{2}(e^{it}+e^{-it})$$
(or just ##\cos t = \mbox{Re}[\exp(it)]##)

and

$$e^{iz\cos\theta} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty i^n J_n(z)e^{in\theta}.$$

I guess the trig identity

$$\cos^2 t = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2t))$$
also helps.

Last edited:

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

What does cos^2(∏/2cosθ) mean?

cos^2(∏/2cosθ) is a trigonometric function that represents the squared cosine of the angle (∏/2cosθ). The angle (∏/2cosθ) is dependent on the value of θ, which is a variable in the equation. This function is commonly used in integration problems.

What is the process of integrating cos^2(∏/2cosθ)?

The process of integrating cos^2(∏/2cosθ) involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to rewrite the function in a simpler form. The integral is then evaluated using rules and formulas to find the solution.

Why is integration cos^2(∏/2cosθ) important?

Integration cos^2(∏/2cosθ) is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems involving areas, volumes, and rates of change. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

What are some applications of integration cos^2(∏/2cosθ)?

Some applications of integration cos^2(∏/2cosθ) include finding the area under a curve, calculating the volume of a solid, determining the average value of a function, and solving differential equations. It is also used in physics to analyze motion and in economics to optimize production and consumption.