Gyroscope Precession Explained: Simple Explanation

In summary, a gyroscope precesses due to the rotation of the Earth and the acceleration and velocity components are in opposite directions. This causes the gyro to output a rotational torque that is 90° out of phase with the input torque. This causes the helicopter to compensate with cyclic pitch and roll.
brandontod97
I wanted to know if someone could explain how gyroscopic precession works. Preferably in normal physics terms and in laymens terms. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
i checked that link. already, thanks though. assume i don't understand physics.

I'm not sure if this will help, but you could try to imagine a moment in time where the gyro is horizontal with a vertical axis, and that a horizontal plane is used as a reference for the gyro at this moment in time. Assume the gyroscope is precessing along an east - west axis, so that the north side of the gyro is precessing "upwards" and the south side is precessing "downwards". For any point on the gyro, the acceleration component perpendicular to the plane is greatest on the east and west side, and zero on the north and south side (the acceleration component would be a direct reaction to input torque). For any point on the gyro, the velocity component perpendicular to the plane is most negative on the south side, and most positive on the north side, and zero on the east and west side (the velocity component would correspond to the gyro's precession reaction).

The precession reaction is 90° out of phase "behind" the applied torque. Helicopters are affected by this and the cyclic (pitch and roll) output is adjusted 90° "ahead" of the control input to compensate.

This description is ignoring the fact that the overall angular momentum of a gyro is affected by the rate of precession. The actual precession reaction is slightly different than the idealized one.

brandontod97 said:
i checked that link. already, thanks though. assume i don't understand physics.

Ok, but that discussion used less physics than any other discussion of precession that I have seen. It mentions e.g. Newton's second law, but it is not really used mathematically.

What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a device that is used to measure and maintain orientation and angular velocity. It consists of a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on an axis, allowing it to rotate freely in any direction.

How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works based on the principle of angular momentum. The spinning wheel or disc maintains its orientation in space, even when the entire gyroscope is moved or tilted, due to the conservation of angular momentum.

What is precession in a gyroscope?

Precession is the phenomenon where the axis of rotation of a gyroscope changes direction in response to an external force. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, as the spinning wheel or disc tries to maintain its orientation in space.

What is the application of gyroscopes?

Gyroscopes have a wide range of applications, such as navigation systems, stabilization of vehicles and ships, gyrocompasses, and measuring angular velocity in machines and structures. They are also used in smartphones and other electronic devices for orientation and motion sensing.

How is precession explained in a gyroscope?

Precession in a gyroscope can be explained using the concept of torque. When an external force is applied to the spinning wheel or disc, it creates a torque that causes the axis of rotation to change direction. This results in the gyroscope precessing or rotating around another axis.