Outdoor jobs with physics degree?

In summary, the speaker has a masters degree in physics with a specialization in semiconductors. They initially wanted to work in the photovoltaic industry but ended up working as an engineer, which they hate because it involves long hours at a computer. They are now interested in doing outdoor work, specifically in the NOAA corp, but are open to other opportunities. They mention geophysics and exploration geophysics as potential options, with the latter offering the chance to travel to different countries.
double_rainbo
I have a masters degree in physics. I specialized in semiconductors with the hope of getting into the photovoltaic industry because it really interests me. I worked as an intern for a year in and R&D department and liked getting to work in the lab.

After that internship ended and I graduated, I started looking for full time work and landed a job as an engineer. I absolutely hate it. I'm at a computer for 8 hours straight just reading over reports, writing reports, and making sure things meet program requirements. It can occasionally be interesting, but not often.

I've recently decided I want to do work outdoors. I'm really interested in the NOAA corp, which places you on a research boat. They require science degrees to work as an officer aboard the ships and it sounds very interesting, but it seeems that you have to be away from your family for long periods of time.

Does anyone know of any other outdoor/adventure type of jobs that would work with a physics degree? The thought of working in an office for the next 35 years is terrifying. I love the outdoors and really feel like I need to do something exciting.

Thanks

Likes ebby and (deleted member)
Physics news on Phys.org
Geophysics/atmospheric physics might be interesting. You cannot avoid the computer, but measurements can be done outdoors.
Alternative: Take a laptop and look for some nice place outdoors ;).

Check out exploration geophysics. Pays great if you work in oil and gas.

jbrussell93 said:
Check out exploration geophysics. Pays great if you work in oil and gas.

Second that. You will have the opportunity to visit countries where it's 'arab spring' all the time!

for sharing your experience and thoughts with us. It's great to see your passion for the outdoors and your desire to find a career that aligns with your interests. As a fellow scientist with a physics background, I can relate to your experience of feeling stuck in an office job and craving more hands-on and adventurous work.

There are definitely outdoor jobs that you can pursue with a physics degree. One option is to look into environmental or field research positions. These types of jobs often involve collecting data and conducting experiments in the field, which would allow you to be outdoors and work with your hands. You could also consider working as a park ranger or environmental educator, where you would have opportunities to lead outdoor activities and educate others about science and nature.

Another option is to look into jobs in renewable energy, such as solar panel installation or wind turbine maintenance. These jobs require knowledge of physics and would allow you to work outdoors while making a positive impact on the environment.

In terms of the NOAA corp, it's great that you have an interest in that field. While it may require you to be away from your family for extended periods of time, it could be a rewarding and exciting experience. You could also look into other research vessels or marine biology research positions that may allow for more flexible schedules.

Ultimately, it's important to find a career that aligns with your interests and passions. Don't be afraid to explore different options and take risks in pursuing your dream job. With a background in physics, you have a strong foundation to excel in a variety of fields, so don't limit yourself to traditional office jobs. Best of luck in finding your perfect outdoor adventure job!

1. What types of outdoor jobs can I get with a physics degree?

There are several outdoor jobs that are well-suited for individuals with a physics degree. These include atmospheric scientists, geophysicists, environmental engineers, and surveyors.

2. What skills from my physics degree will be useful in outdoor jobs?

Some of the skills that are commonly acquired through a physics degree that are applicable to outdoor jobs include problem-solving, data analysis, critical thinking, and mathematical modeling.

3. Can I work in the field with a physics degree?

Yes, there are many outdoor jobs that require individuals to work in the field, such as environmental scientists who collect and analyze data at various locations or geophysicists who conduct surveys and experiments in different outdoor environments.

4. Are there opportunities for travel with outdoor jobs in physics?

Yes, some outdoor jobs with a physics degree may involve traveling to different locations for fieldwork or research. For example, geophysicists may travel to different parts of the world to conduct seismic surveys for oil and gas exploration.

5. What is the job outlook for outdoor jobs in physics?

The job outlook for outdoor jobs in physics is generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for atmospheric scientists, geoscientists, and environmental scientists is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations in the coming years.