Which 2nd Bachelors would best complement a BS in Electrical Engineering?

In summary: If you can get into a graduate engineering program by the fall of 2013, that would be the best option.
atlbraves49
Having graduated 3.5 years ago, and being unable to get an entry level EE job (I went into an unrelated field right out of college and have tried getting an entry level EE job for over 1 year now), I need to make a decision. I'm starting to think the only way I can get an engineering job is to again be considered a "student" (for co-ops/internships), and then a "fresh out of college candidate", to get a good entry level job.

With that said, I'm trying to determine what would be the best complement to my EE degree. I've narrowed it down to Chemical Eng, Computer Eng, Biomedical Eng, and Petroleum Eng.

Currently based out of the Houston, TX area. Can you guys give some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
petroleum eng is really hot right now as Oil companies are losing engineers to retirement and failed to hire enough a decade or so ago. Fresh grads are making really good 6 figure salaries.

jedishrfu said:
petroleum eng is really hot right now as Oil companies are losing engineers to retirement and failed to hire enough a decade or so ago. Fresh grads are making really good 6 figure salaries.

You think that will still be the case in 2-3 years? I figure (hope) a lot of my basic courses transfer and I'd be able to finish in less than the usual 4 years...

atlbraves49 said:
You think that will still be the case in 2-3 years? I figure (hope) a lot of my basic courses transfer and I'd be able to finish in less than the usual 4 years...

Cant say but energy is a big field. Oil in particular with the advent of fracking and its associated controversy.

I maybe a bit biased being a nuclear engineering major but everyone I know that has graduated from my university have a good paying jobs. The average is about $70,000 but honestly I'd say your electrical engineering curriculum would probably only transfer general chemistry 1&2, physics 1&2, calculus 1-3, differential equations, of course all the English and other small general education classes. That means you'd have about 2 years of course work either way you go. However I'd just go mechanical if I were you, it's probably the broadest engineering field and you work in any if those other fields with a mechanical engineering degree especially petroleum. You could even become a nuclear, aerospace, or computer engineer with the mechanical degree. The fact that you already have an electrical engineering degree would set you up nicely to work in the energy sector. Just my .02

Instead of acquiring a second bachelors, get a graduate degree in EE.

If you still are focused on getting a second bachelors, biomedical or computer engineering would allow you to take advantage of some of your EE degree.

jehake12 said:
Instead of acquiring a second bachelors, get a graduate degree in EE.

If you still are focused on getting a second bachelors, biomedical or computer engineering would allow you to take advantage of some of your EE degree.

I've considered that. I'm in a tough spot right now though, as I don't want to put this off for another year (I haven't taken the GRE yet, and I don't know if there will be another one in time for grad school applications to be put in).

I'd like to get into something by this coming fall (2013); whether its MSEE or BS in another engineering discipline.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a second bachelor's degree after obtaining a BS in Electrical Engineering?

Pursuing a second bachelor's degree can provide you with a broader skill set, making you more marketable to employers. It can also allow you to specialize in a different field and open up new career opportunities.

2. Which fields of study are commonly paired with a BS in Electrical Engineering for a second bachelor's degree?

Some common fields that complement a BS in Electrical Engineering include computer science, mathematics, physics, and mechanical engineering. However, the specific pairing will depend on your interests and career goals.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a second bachelor's degree alongside a BS in Electrical Engineering?

The duration of a second bachelor's degree will vary depending on the program and the number of credits you transfer from your previous degree. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-3 years to complete.

4. Can I still pursue a second bachelor's degree if I have been out of school for a while?

Yes, many universities offer flexible options for non-traditional students who have been out of school for a few years. You may also be able to transfer credits from your previous degree to shorten the duration of the program.

5. How will a second bachelor's degree complement my BS in Electrical Engineering in terms of job prospects and salary?

Holding a second bachelor's degree can make you a more well-rounded candidate and increase your chances of landing a job in a specialized field. It can also potentially lead to a higher salary, as you may have a unique combination of skills and knowledge that is in demand by employers.