Should Technical Reports Use Present Tense for System Operations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of present tense in a technical report based on a data acquisition program. The speaker is unsure of which tense to use for the section on 'Analysis of System operation' and is seeking advice. The other person suggests using present tense, as it is similar to a user's manual, and the speaker agrees.
Physicist3
Hi, I know this isn't a technical question but I have to write a technical report based on a data acquisition program which I have created. I am a bit confused about the tenses of one section, namely 'Analysis of System operation' . Although the program has already been made, i feel that it should be written in the present tense as I am explaining how the system works, not how it was made. Any Ideas (sorry if its the wrong section) :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
Hi, I know this isn't a technical question but I have to write a technical report based on a data acquisition program which I have created. I am a bit confused about the tenses of one section, namely 'Analysis of System operation' . Although the program has already been made, i feel that it should be written in the present tense as I am explaining how the system works, not how it was made. Any Ideas (sorry if its the wrong section) :)

I agree that the present tense seems the best match. I'm thinking that much of what you are writing is like a User's Manual for users of your program...

berkeman said:
I agree that the present tense seems the best match. I'm thinking that much of what you are writing is like a User's Manual for users of your program...

Its a technical report based on the data acquistion program produced where the system must be discussed, analysed and evaluated. Ill stick with present tense as I am not explaining an experiment that was carried out as such and I think present tense reads better. Thanks :)

If you posted an example of your report...a few sentences...or a paragraph, then members here might be better able to advise and or offer opinions.

Bobbywhy

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your technical report. I understand the importance of clear and accurate technical writing.

In regards to your question about the tenses in the 'Analysis of System operation' section, it is important to use the present tense when describing how the system currently operates. This is because the system is still in use and its operation has not changed since it was created. Using the present tense will make the report more concise and easier for the reader to understand.

Additionally, when discussing the creation of the data acquisition program, it is appropriate to use the past tense as it is a completed action. However, when explaining the features and functions of the program, it is best to use the present tense.

I hope this helps clarify the tenses for your report. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your report writing.

What is technical report writing?

Technical report writing is the process of documenting and communicating technical information in a clear and concise manner. It involves gathering data, analyzing and interpreting results, and presenting findings in a structured report format.

Why is technical report writing important?

Technical report writing is important because it allows scientists to effectively communicate their research and findings to a wider audience. It also ensures that technical information is accurately and clearly presented, which is essential for making informed decisions and advancing scientific knowledge.

What are the key components of a technical report?

The key components of a technical report include an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include a literature review, acknowledgements, and references. The structure and content may vary depending on the specific requirements and purpose of the report.

How do I improve my technical report writing skills?

To improve your technical report writing skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from others. You can also read and analyze well-written technical reports to understand the structure and style. Additionally, paying attention to grammar, punctuation, and formatting can also enhance the clarity and readability of your report.

Can I get help with technical report writing?

Yes, there are many resources available for technical report writing, including online guides, workshops, and writing centers. You can also seek assistance from a colleague or mentor who is experienced in technical writing. Additionally, professional editing and proofreading services can also help improve the quality of your report.