Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

by americast
Tags: combustible, combustion, difference, substance, supporter
americast
Apr1-13, 12:44 AM
P: 13
This is driving me insane:-----

What is the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion?

Thanx in advance...
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
MRI sensor that enables long-term monitoring of oxygen levels could aid cancer diagnosis, treatment
The anti-inflammatory factory
Traxfam
Apr7-13, 06:57 PM
P: 7
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.
americast
Apr8-13, 01:18 PM
Quote Quote by Traxfam View Post
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.
Thanx.... I had already got the answer from a chemistry forum. Physics forums was a little too late... :D

chemisttree
Apr8-13, 09:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

So what did you find? I'm always interested in unimportant chemistry trivia.
americast
Apr9-13, 12:56 PM
The same thing, the one that oxidises is the combustible substance and the one that gets reduced in the supporter of combustion. I dont think its unimportant. None of my books could explain this simple thing...
NascentOxygen
Apr19-13, 08:25 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,716
An interesting demonstration would be to reverse the normal combustion arrangement.

A thought experiment only....don't try it in real life.

Have a room filled with pure methane or natural gas, and introduce into it a Bunsen burner fed with no gas but just compressed air. Light the Bunsen with an electric spark, and see whether you can boil a beaker of water over this air flame.

Register to reply