Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

In summary, a combustible substance is something that burns, while a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2. A combustible substance is also the one that gets oxidized, while the supporter of combustion is reduced. This can be demonstrated by reversing the usual combustion arrangement, using compressed air as the oxidizer and methane or natural gas as the combustible substance. However, this is just a thought experiment and should not be attempted in real life.
americast
This is driving me insane:-----

What is the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion?

Thanx in advance...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.

Likes 1 person
Traxfam said:
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.

Thanx... I had already got the answer from a chemistry forum. Physics forums was a little too late... :D

So what did you find? I'm always interested in unimportant chemistry trivia.

The same thing, the one that oxidises is the combustible substance and the one that gets reduced in the supporter of combustion. I don't think its unimportant. None of my books could explain this simple thing...

An interesting demonstration would be to reverse the normal combustion arrangement.

A thought experiment only...don't try it in real life.

Have a room filled with pure methane or natural gas, and introduce into it a Bunsen burner fed with no gas but just compressed air. Light the Bunsen with an electric spark, and see whether you can boil a beaker of water over this air flame.

1. What is a combustible substance?

A combustible substance is any material that has the ability to catch fire and burn when exposed to a source of heat or flame.

2. What is a supporter of combustion?

A supporter of combustion is any substance that reacts with a combustible material and helps to sustain or enhance the burning process.

3. What is the main difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion?

The main difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion is that a combustible substance is the material that burns, while a supporter of combustion is the substance that aids in the burning process.

4. Can a substance be both combustible and a supporter of combustion?

Yes, a substance can be both combustible and a supporter of combustion. For example, gasoline is a combustible material that can catch fire and burn, and oxygen is a supporter of combustion that helps to sustain the burning process.

5. How can knowing the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion be useful?

Knowing the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion is important in understanding how fires start and spread. It can also help in fire prevention and safety measures, as well as in developing effective fire suppression methods.