How to make this pattern in a tile?

• Thread starter Varadha
  • Start date
In summary: So, the protruding embedments are not necessarily going to have to be cut. And I'm not sure how grinding wheels would be used, but I'm sure the consumer could find out.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure that's ceramic? From the picture, it looks more like some sort of pressed composite, possibly with a transparent ceramic coat...
I don't think that I can offer an informed opinion; I'd need to get my hands on it in person.

It looks like they embedded quartz (or is that flint) stone aggregate within a powdered ceramic material, fired it then polished smooth which also polished the aggregate faces to show some depth.

jambaugh said:
It looks like they embedded quartz (or is that flint) stone aggregate within a powdered ceramic material, fired it then polished smooth which also polished the aggregate faces to show some depth.

Uh, yeah, that's what I meant to say... :uhh:

jambaugh said:

Thank you. But, pressing large pieces(quartz or whatever) on a sintered ceramic will get irregularity in the surface right? Those protruding embedments have to be cut and do they use grinding wheels for that purpose? Isn't it a tiresome process?

Varadha said:
Thank you. But, pressing large pieces(quartz or whatever) on a sintered ceramic will get irregularity in the surface right? Those protruding embedments have to be cut and do they use grinding wheels for that purpose? Isn't it a tiresome process?

I think it is much less so with better available materials, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide, and diamond grinders and stone planers. I figure if they can cut and polish granite counter tops out of large quarry stones they can smooth down a cast ceramic much more quickly. But remember I'm extrapolating from a picture. Try web searching for commercial building supplies and seeing what you turn up.

Most companies are proud to educate the consumer as to their unique process, (short of giving away trade secrets).

1. How do I create a repeating pattern in a tile?

To create a repeating pattern in a tile, you will need to use a technique called tiling. This involves creating a small section of the pattern and then repeating it across the entire tile. You can do this manually by copying and pasting, or by using a computer program such as Photoshop or Illustrator.

2. What is the best way to determine the size of the pattern for a tile?

The size of the pattern for a tile will depend on the size of the tile itself and the complexity of the pattern. As a general rule, you want the pattern to be large enough to be noticeable, but not too large that it becomes distorted when repeated across the tile. It may be helpful to create a mock-up of the pattern on a smaller scale to determine the best size for the tile.

3. Can I create a pattern in a tile using only one color?

Yes, it is possible to create a pattern in a tile using only one color. This is often referred to as a monochromatic pattern. The key to creating a visually interesting monochromatic pattern is to vary the size and shape of the elements in the pattern to create contrast.

4. How can I ensure that the pattern lines up perfectly across multiple tiles?

To ensure that the pattern lines up perfectly across multiple tiles, it is important to make sure that the pattern is created with a consistent size and spacing. Use guides or grids to help you maintain accuracy while creating the pattern. It may also be helpful to test the pattern on a few tiles before applying it to the entire surface.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me create a pattern in a tile?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help you create a pattern in a tile. As mentioned earlier, programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator can be used to create and manipulate patterns. There are also online tools and apps specifically designed for creating patterns in tiles, as well as tutorial videos and articles that can provide helpful tips and techniques.