Idea for electromagnetic hover car (maglev car)?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school student's dream of creating a Maglev hover car using concepts such as Meissner effect, superconductivity, and Faraday's principle. The student plans to conduct experiments and build a mini-model of the car, but is concerned about their lack of knowledge in physics. They also mention a VW commercial that sparked their interest in this idea, but it is pointed out that the technology does not exist yet and their speculations may violate the laws of physics. The conversation ends with advice to learn more about the principles involved before attempting to invent something based on limited knowledge.
Vanstorm9
Hey guys,
I am just a simple high school student in a one-year physics course who wants to improve his ability in applied science and using physics to create new things (my dream is to be an inventor)

I always had this idea of a Maglev (electromagnetic) hover car where it uses the messier effect and superconductivity for magnetic levitation and Faraday’s electromagnetic induction principal to generate electricity give it the ability to recharge its motor if it runs on newly built magnetic roads.

I am a high school junior, a first-year physics high school student, so I don’t know if my physics reasoning is good enough and if I am actually typing in wrong physics concepts on this page right now.

I personally thought it was a stupid idea at first, but ever since I saw the Volkswagen commercial, I thought that since people are actually trying to create this, it isn’t so stupid and is actually possible

http://www.technologicvehicles.com/...video-vw-peoples-car-project-voici-la-voiture

I may attempt to make a mini-model of the car, doing experiments for each concept to see if they will actually work and eventually start putting things together.

Main concepts
Electromagnetic suspension (Meissner effect)
By using a superconductor and using extremely low temperatures, it will allow electromagnetic suspension to be created and give the car the ability to levitate.

Possible experiement: Use liquid nitrogen to cool a superconductor/magnet and place it on a magnetic track and see how it levitates and move on the track, basically recreating this experiment:

Constantly recharged electrical motor (Faraday’s principle)
When an electrical wire that has electrical current flowing moves through a magnetic field, electricity is produced. Due to the fact that electricity can be produced by simply moving an electrical current through a magnetic field, I was dreaming of magnet tracks that produces a magnetic field where there will be the maglev car moving with electrical wires through the field that is connected to its electrical motor. That will allow it to give it constant energy as it recharging its engine when it moves, getting rid of the need for gasoline or energy sources.

Possible experiment: Attach an ampmeter to wires that will be hovered over the magnetic rails. See if current and electric power produced.

Then build a small component that would allow it to store in any generated electrical energy/charge.

Additional features (optional)
Repulsion collision safe (probably the one that will most likely not work)
There will be an electromagnetic magnet attached to the back of the car. A sensor will use the magnetic field to detect any incoming cars or any cars it is incoming into. If both of the cars get too close to each other (compared the distance with the speed of the two cars), the electromagnetic would both turn on (with the same charge) and release a really powerful electromagnetic field that would repel the two cars away. Due to the fact that the car is moving with either great acceleration or force, the magnetic field won’t really repel the cars but have them move at constant speed (same speed as each other) into equalibrium. Once under control, the drive can turn off the electromagnetic field.

Magnetic Car Detection
There will be a magnetic field from an electromanget that would have the car produce an electromagnetic field (or else just use radar/sonar) to detect incoming cars.

Any critique on this? Is this possible? Any advice in what I can do to make a small model of the maglev car (not the entire thing, just a small demo of it) or any correction to the concepts that I posted? Some of these may look ridiculous to you as I am only a high school physics student. However, I really want to interact with physics more and use these concepts to create something new and interesting, like this maglev electromagnetic hover car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your youthful enthusiasm is great, but that VW commercial is a joke. CGI. That technology does not exist. Also, your speculations violate the laws of physics. You really should start by learning about some of the principles there, such as how an electric motor works, how a maglev train works, etc. rather than speculating and trying to invent based on not knowing. You said you're in a first year physics class. That's a good start. Be patient. It takes time.

Thread locked.

Vanstorm9 said:
Hey guys,
I am just a simple high school student in a one-year physics course who wants to improve his ability in applied science and using physics to create new things (my dream is to be an inventor)

I always had this idea of a Maglev (electromagnetic) hover car where it uses the messier effect and superconductivity for magnetic levitation and Faraday’s electromagnetic induction principal to generate electricity give it the ability to recharge its motor if it runs on newly built magnetic roads.

I am a high school junior, a first-year physics high school student, so I don’t know if my physics reasoning is good enough and if I am actually typing in wrong physics concepts on this page right now.

I personally thought it was a stupid idea at first, but ever since I saw the Volkswagen commercial, I thought that since people are actually trying to create this, it isn’t so stupid and is actually possible

http://www.technologicvehicles.com/...video-vw-peoples-car-project-voici-la-voiture

I may attempt to make a mini-model of the car, doing experiments for each concept to see if they will actually work and eventually start putting things together.

Main concepts
Electromagnetic suspension (Meissner effect)
By using a superconductor and using extremely low temperatures, it will allow electromagnetic suspension to be created and give the car the ability to levitate.

Possible experiement: Use liquid nitrogen to cool a superconductor/magnet and place it on a magnetic track and see how it levitates and move on the track, basically recreating this experiment:

Constantly recharged electrical motor (Faraday’s principle)
When an electrical wire that has electrical current flowing moves through a magnetic field, electricity is produced. Due to the fact that electricity can be produced by simply moving an electrical current through a magnetic field, I was dreaming of magnet tracks that produces a magnetic field where there will be the maglev car moving with electrical wires through the field that is connected to its electrical motor. That will allow it to give it constant energy as it recharging its engine when it moves, getting rid of the need for gasoline or energy sources.

Possible experiment: Attach an ampmeter to wires that will be hovered over the magnetic rails. See if current and electric power produced.

Then build a small component that would allow it to store in any generated electrical energy/charge.

Additional features (optional)
Repulsion collision safe (probably the one that will most likely not work)
There will be an electromagnetic magnet attached to the back of the car. A sensor will use the magnetic field to detect any incoming cars or any cars it is incoming into. If both of the cars get too close to each other (compared the distance with the speed of the two cars), the electromagnetic would both turn on (with the same charge) and release a really powerful electromagnetic field that would repel the two cars away. Due to the fact that the car is moving with either great acceleration or force, the magnetic field won’t really repel the cars but have them move at constant speed (same speed as each other) into equalibrium. Once under control, the drive can turn off the electromagnetic field.

Magnetic Car Detection
There will be a magnetic field from an electromanget that would have the car produce an electromagnetic field (or else just use radar/sonar) to detect incoming cars.

Any critique on this? Is this possible? Any advice in what I can do to make a small model of the maglev car (not the entire thing, just a small demo of it) or any correction to the concepts that I posted? Some of these may look ridiculous to you as I am only a high school physics student. However, I really want to interact with physics more and use these concepts to create something new and interesting, like this maglev electromagnetic hover car.

Welcome to the PF.

I'll just make one point for now, and try to come back later to read your text in more detail.

The Volkswagen video you posted is fake. You should get in the habit of checking snopes.com to see if unusual claims have been shown to be false or fake:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/levitatingcar.asp
snopes.com said:
The levitating car shown in the video clip displayed above currently exists only as a concept that was given form for display at an automobile show in China; a working model of the vehicle as shown in the video does not exist. A second clip makes it clear that the original video was the product of the filmmaker's art (and some digital trickery) created to surprise the originator of the concept by seemingly bringing her idea to life

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does an electromagnetic hover car work?

An electromagnetic hover car, also known as a maglev car, works by using magnetic forces to levitate and propel the vehicle forward. The car is equipped with superconducting magnets that are cooled to extremely low temperatures, creating a powerful magnetic field. This field interacts with the magnetic tracks on the ground, causing the car to levitate and move forward without touching the ground.

2. What are the benefits of using an electromagnetic hover car?

Electromagnetic hover cars offer several benefits, including increased speed, reduced friction and resistance, and lower maintenance costs. These cars can reach speeds of up to 500 km/h, as there is no contact between the car and the ground, resulting in less energy loss. Additionally, there are no moving parts, reducing the need for frequent maintenance.

3. Are there any safety concerns with an electromagnetic hover car?

Safety is a top priority when it comes to designing any vehicle, and the same applies to electromagnetic hover cars. These cars are designed with safety in mind and undergo rigorous testing to ensure their stability and reliability. The magnetic fields used in these cars are no stronger than those used in MRI machines, making them safe for passengers and nearby objects.

4. Can an electromagnetic hover car be used in all weather conditions?

Yes, electromagnetic hover cars can be used in all weather conditions as they do not rely on friction or contact with the ground to move. This makes them ideal for areas with extreme weather, such as heavy rain or snow. However, like any other vehicle, it is important to take precautions and adjust driving habits in severe weather conditions.

5. What is the current status of electromagnetic hover car technology?

While the concept of an electromagnetic hover car has been around for decades, it is still in the early stages of development. Some countries, such as Japan and China, have successfully implemented maglev trains, but the use of maglev cars is still limited. However, with advancements in technology and increased interest in sustainable transportation, the future of electromagnetic hover cars looks promising.