How to find the concentration of CO2 in 1M NAOH solution?

In summary, the conversation is about an absorption experiment using 1M NaOH to absorb CO2 from air. The speaker is asking for help on how to analyze the liquid sample after absorption. Another person suggests using Warder titration and the speaker clarifies their approach of directly titrating the NaOH solution at the inlet and outlet against HCl. They are concerned about the Na2CO3 reacting with HCl and causing CO2 to bubble out, resulting in similar concentrations in both solutions. The suggestion is made to use a different indicator for more accurate results.
Pollyannaism
I done the absorption experiment i.e absorption of CO2 from air using 1M NaOH .Can anyone please tell how to analyse the Liquid sample after absorption.

I found the concentration of NaOH after and before the experiment,difference in Concentration gives the concentration of CO2.is it the reight approach.
Any suggestion is appreciated..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pollyannaism said:
I found the concentration of NaOH after

How?

This is not a wrong approach, it is just a tricky problem. Compare Warder titration.

Thank you for replying..

I directly titrate the NaOH solution at inlet and also liquid solution from the column( outlet solution )against the HCl to find the concentration.My doubt is that when I tirate NaOH solution of the outlet ( contains Na2CO3 + unreacted NaOH) against HCl ,Na2cO3 reacts with Hcl to form NaOH again and CO2 will bubble out.So after doing the titration I am getting almost the same concentration(no significant difference)in both the solution.

Have you read the linked page? It is likely a matter of choosing correct indicator.

I would first like to commend you on conducting an absorption experiment to determine the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NaOH solution. This is an important step in understanding the chemical properties and reactions of CO2 and NaOH.

To analyze the liquid sample after absorption, there are a few techniques that can be used. One option would be to use titration, where a known concentration of acid is added to the solution until the CO2 is fully neutralized. The amount of acid used can then be used to calculate the concentration of CO2 in the solution.

Another approach would be to use a pH meter to measure the change in pH of the solution before and after absorption. As CO2 is acidic, its presence in the solution will lower the pH. By measuring the change in pH, the concentration of CO2 can be calculated.

Additionally, you can also use spectroscopic techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or gas chromatography to directly measure the concentration of CO2 in the solution.

The approach you have described, which involves comparing the concentration of NaOH before and after the experiment, can provide an estimate of the concentration of CO2 in the solution. However, it is important to note that this method may not be as accurate as the techniques mentioned above, and may also be affected by other factors such as temperature and pressure.

In conclusion, there are multiple methods that can be used to analyze the liquid sample after absorption and determine the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NaOH solution. I would recommend using a combination of techniques to ensure the most accurate results. I hope this helps and I welcome any further discussion or suggestions.

1. How do I measure the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution?

The concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution can be measured using a titration method. First, a known volume of the solution is titrated with a standard acid solution until the equivalence point is reached. The volume of acid used is then used to calculate the concentration of CO2 in the solution.

2. What equipment do I need to measure the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution?

To measure the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution, you will need a burette, a standard acid solution, an indicator, a conical flask, and a white tile or pH meter to measure the pH of the solution.

3. How does the concentration of CO2 affect the pH of a 1M NAOH solution?

The concentration of CO2 can affect the pH of a 1M NAOH solution as it reacts with the NAOH to form a weak acid, which can decrease the pH of the solution. The higher the concentration of CO2, the lower the resulting pH will be.

4. Can I use a different method to measure the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution?

Yes, there are other methods to measure the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution, such as using a gas chromatography or spectrophotometry. However, these methods may require more specialized equipment and expertise.

5. How accurate is the titration method for measuring the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution?

The titration method is a widely accepted and accurate method for measuring the concentration of CO2 in a 1M NAOH solution. However, it is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise equipment to ensure accurate results.