Quadratic inequalities for complex variables?

In summary, a quadratic inequality with real coefficients can have no real roots if the discriminant is negative, ensuring that the solution will have an imaginary part.
mathsciguy
Hello, I was looking at Riley's solution manual for this specific problem. Along the way, he ended up with a quadratic inequality:

View attachment how.bmp

If you looked at the image, he said it is given that λ is real, but he asserted that λ has no real roots because of the inequality. Doesn't that mean λ is imaginary or complex in some points then, contradicting his first statement? I reckon this has something to do with the properties of a quadratic inequality for complex variables.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathsciguy said:
Hello, I was looking at Riley's solution manual for this specific problem. Along the way, he ended up with a quadratic inequality:

View attachment 61729

If you looked at the image, he said it is given that λ is real, but he asserted that λ has no real roots because of the inequality. Doesn't that mean λ is imaginary or complex in some points then, contradicting his first statement? I reckon this has something to do with the properties of a quadratic inequality for complex variables.

[itex]\lambda[/itex] doesn't have roots; it's an arbitrary real number. The quadratic [itex]P: z \mapsto az^2 + bz + c[/itex] has roots, which are those [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] for which [itex]P(z) = 0[/itex]. The point is that if [itex]P(\lambda) > 0[/itex] for all real [itex]\lambda[/itex] then [itex]P[/itex] has no real roots, because if [itex]z[/itex] is real then [itex]P(z) \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] cannot be a root of [itex]P[/itex].

That's cool, I get it now. Then that means the roots are either purely imaginary or complex (but not purely real) right? Then why is it required that the discriminant be less than zero? Is it because it will make sure that part of the solution will have an imaginary part?

Last edited:
mathsciguy said:
That's cool, I get it now. Then that means the roots are either purely imaginary or complex (but not purely real) right? Then why is it required that the discriminant be less than zero? Is it because it will make sure that part of the solution will have an imaginary part?

Yes. A quadratic with real coefficients has no real roots if and only if the discriminant is negative.

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this up. You are correct in your observation that the statement about λ being real and having no real roots may seem contradictory. However, in this context, we are dealing with complex variables and their properties, which can be different from real numbers.

In the case of quadratic inequalities for complex variables, the roots are not necessarily real numbers. They can be complex numbers, which can be expressed as a combination of a real and imaginary part. So, when we say that λ is real, it means that the real part of λ is a real number, but the imaginary part could still be non-zero.

In the context of this problem, the inequality is used to show that λ cannot have real roots, which means that the quadratic equation cannot be solved using real numbers. This does not necessarily mean that λ is purely imaginary, but rather that it has a non-zero imaginary part.

I hope this clarifies the concept of quadratic inequalities for complex variables. It is important to remember that the properties and solutions of complex numbers can be different from real numbers, and this is something that we need to keep in mind while working with them.

Best,

1. What are the solutions to quadratic inequalities for complex variables?

The solutions to quadratic inequalities for complex variables are complex numbers. These solutions can be represented as x + yi, where x and y are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you graph quadratic inequalities for complex variables?

To graph quadratic inequalities for complex variables, you can plot the solutions on the complex plane. The real part of the complex number represents the x-axis and the imaginary part represents the y-axis. The solutions can then be shaded in the complex plane to show the region that satisfies the inequality.

3. Can quadratic inequalities for complex variables have infinite solutions?

Yes, quadratic inequalities for complex variables can have infinite solutions. This is because there are infinitely many complex numbers that satisfy the inequality.

4. How do you solve quadratic inequalities for complex variables algebraically?

To solve quadratic inequalities for complex variables algebraically, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the coefficients of the quadratic equation and simplify to find the solutions.

5. What is the significance of quadratic inequalities for complex variables in mathematics?

Quadratic inequalities for complex variables are important in mathematics because they are used to solve many real-world problems, such as in physics and engineering. They also have applications in fields such as cryptography and signal processing. In addition, understanding complex numbers and their solutions to inequalities helps to deepen our understanding of the complex plane and its properties.