Determining the value of B1 (or RF) in NMR

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the value of B1 when given the time it takes for magnetization to rotate from its initial position to the xy plane. The formula ω = γB1 = 2∏f1 is used, where f1 represents the frequency of precession in terms of period. The conversation also mentions finding the fraction of one cycle that represents the journey from the z axis to the xy plane. The solution involves using the equation t_1(360) = 1/B1 and finding the time for an angle of 90 degrees.
Bubble22
Hello

If the time that takes for magnetization to rotate from its initial position (parallel with external magnetization) to x,y plane is given, how do we determine the value of B1?

The formula I know:
ω = γB1 = 2∏f1
lB1l < lBol
angle between the magnetization and the external magnetization = ωt = γB1t

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote down the frequency of precession (from the z axis to -z and back to +z) in terms of B1. Now write the frequency in terms of period (time) [itex]f_1=1 / t_1 [/itex] for one cycle. What fraction of one cycle is the journey from the z axis to the xy plane?

marcusl said:
You wrote down the frequency of precession (from the z axis to -z and back to +z) in terms of B1. Now write the frequency in terms of period (time) [itex]f_1=1 / t_1 [/itex] for one cycle. What fraction of one cycle is the journey from the z axis to the xy plane?
I'm not quite sure what you meant ..
So basically I have ω = γB1 = 2∏f1 formula, and if I write this in terms of period it would be like
ω = γB1 = 2∏(1/t).. and I'm lost afterwards.. could you be kind to explain more in detail?

Last edited:
You now have [itex]t_1(360)[/itex] in terms of B1. I've written it with the argument 360 because this period is the length of time for the spin to precess from the z direction down to the xy plane, on to -z, back to the xy plane, and back up to z, for a total angle of 360 degrees. You want the time it takes to go from z to the xy plane, which is an angle of 90 deg. You have everything needed to find that value.

1. What is the significance of determining the value of B1 (or RF) in NMR?

The value of B1, or the radiofrequency (RF) field, is crucial in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiments as it determines the sensitivity and resolution of the NMR signals. It is also used to control the excitation and relaxation processes in NMR spectroscopy.

2. How is the value of B1 determined in NMR experiments?

The value of B1 can be determined by measuring the intensity of the NMR signal from a known sample as a function of the RF power. The value of B1 is then calculated by finding the RF power at which the NMR signal reaches its maximum intensity.

3. What factors can affect the value of B1 in NMR experiments?

The value of B1 can be affected by factors such as sample composition, temperature, magnetic field strength, and the type of NMR probe being used. These factors can alter the relaxation times of the sample and thereby affect the B1 value.

4. Why is it important to optimize the value of B1 in NMR experiments?

Optimizing the value of B1 is important as it ensures that the NMR signals are strong and well-resolved, allowing for accurate measurements and analysis of the sample. It also reduces the risk of signal distortion and improves the sensitivity of the NMR experiment.

5. Are there any challenges in determining the value of B1 in NMR experiments?

Yes, there can be challenges in accurately determining the value of B1 in NMR experiments. These include variations in sample composition, inadequate RF power calibration, and non-linear behavior of the NMR signal at high RF powers. These challenges can be overcome by careful experimental design and thorough calibration procedures.