Is the mind a collection of thoughts ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the mind in physics and whether it is just a collection of thoughts. It also touches on the idea of manipulating matter with the mind and the distinction between the brain and the mind. The forum members suggest that the discussion is more suited for biology and chemistry and caution against discussing metaphysical topics. They also mention that there is no definitive answer to how the brain and mind work, but scientific attempts are being made to understand it.
sir.lemmiwink5
What is the mind considered to be in physics ? Is it just a collection of thoughts ?

And has there ever been any studies done on the mind and matter manipulation ?

Appreciate all replies.

Physics is Phun

Physics news on Phys.org
For whatever it's worth, I have always considered the mind to be a collection of chemical reactions... more chemistry in my opinion.

okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical. However, if you are talking about the same thing, then what type of chemicals do you believe is in this collection ? and has there been any studies or evidence to back what your saying, or is it more of a self belief ?

I would just like you to understand that i am not trying to undermine you in anyway, i appreciate you answering my question. I am just soo confused and am trying to find a definitive answer to make sense of it so i can go to sleep at night.

Cheers lasix.

Hi sir.lemmiwink5, and welcome to Physics Forums!

sir.lemmiwink5 said:
What is the mind considered to be in physics ? Is it just a collection of thoughts ?

"Mind" is a pretty slippery term; it might be better to use the word "brain". And regarding the brain, this is more a topic in biology and chemistry (see Neuroscience).

sir.lemmiwink5 said:
And has there ever been any studies done on the mind and matter manipulation ?

Please be more specific, what do you mean by "mind and matter manipulation"?

n.b. I could add though that there are no scientific indications or scientific reasons to believe that the brain does not follow the laws of physics at the bottom level.

EDIT:
sir.lemmiwink5 said:
okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical.

Please note that this is a physics forum. We do not discuss metaphysics/philosophy here :wink:.

Last edited:
sir.lemmiwink5 said:
okay, just to make clear that i was not talking about the brain and my take on the mind is that it is metaphysical.

As has been said, we do not discuss metaphysical subjects here on PF. That is not the purpose of this forum.

I would just like you to understand that i am not trying to undermine you in anyway, i appreciate you answering my question. I am just soo confused and am trying to find a definitive answer to make sense of it so i can go to sleep at night.

Cheers lasix.

There is no definitive answer. The question "how does our brain/mind/consciousness work" is far from answered. However, there are real attempts being made to connect the physical brain with the more abstract concepts like thought, memory, consciousness, etc. If you'd like to find out more about those topics then feel free to head on over to the biology subforum and post a few questions. Just stick to real physics and not metaphysics.

1. What is the definition of the mind?

The mind can be defined as the part of a person that enables them to think, feel, perceive, and remember information. It is also responsible for conscious thoughts and mental processes.

2. Are thoughts the same as the mind?

No, thoughts are a product of the mind, but they do not encompass the entirety of the mind. The mind also includes other processes such as emotions, memories, and perception.

3. Can the mind exist without thoughts?

It is difficult to imagine a mind without any thoughts, as thoughts are a fundamental aspect of the mind. However, some theories suggest that there may be states of mind where thoughts are minimal or absent, such as during deep meditation or dreamless sleep.

4. Is the mind a physical or non-physical entity?

This is a highly debated question and there is no consensus among scientists. Some believe that the mind is purely a product of physical processes in the brain, while others argue that it has non-physical aspects and cannot be fully explained by neuroscience.

5. Can the mind change and evolve over time?

Yes, the mind is a dynamic entity that can change and evolve throughout a person's lifetime. This can happen through experiences, learning, and neuroplasticity, which is the brain's ability to reorganize and adapt to new situations.