Why is there a delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in L or R?

by tarekatpf
Tags: delay, milliseconds, vocals
tarekatpf
Oct20-13, 08:16 AM
P: 123
Why is there a delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in one of the stereo outputs?

I heard, this is supposed to give you a sense of space. But our ears are just less than 1 foot apart, and it takes sound about 1 millisecond to travel 1 feet in air. Since our ears are not 10 feet apart, we never perceive the same sound in one ear more than 1 millisecond later than the other. So, what's the point in putting so long delays?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Borek
Oct20-13, 08:40 AM
Admin
P: 22,705
You mean SciFi vocals, or Fantasy vocals?
tarekatpf
Oct20-13, 08:50 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
You mean SciFi vocals, or Fantasy vocals?
Oh, sorry. I thought this category is for ''SciFi & fantasy movies, TV, books, comics, art, games and culture!'' So I thought I might put question on music as well. Now I get that even the ''TV, books, comics, art, games and culture'' questions have to be based on sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Is there a way I can move this thread in a different category?

Pythagorean
Oct20-13, 08:53 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,210

Why is there a delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in L or R?

I would think 1 foot apart only works if you're wearing headphones. If it's designed for speakers, it's really more of a guess. And they're also assuming you're directly in the middle of the speakers, probably.
Borek
Oct20-13, 08:58 AM
Admin
P: 22,705
Honestly, no idea what category it is going to fit. Mostly because I have no idea what the question is about. I mean - I have never heard about the delay being added. But if it is, it just moves perceived source of the sound.
Pythagorean
Oct20-13, 09:12 AM
PF Gold
It's a technique to make sound more real by simulating it as it would be in 3D. There's a demo that uses the algorithm with a clip of someone cutting your hair and it sounds/feels like the scissors are actually moving around your head.
Pythagorean
Oct20-13, 09:14 AM
PF Gold
Without using headphones though, I don't think it works near as well, you can't guess the position of everyone in the room or their distance from the speaker, making the geometry rather undefined. The haircut one I listened to with headphones was unsettling. I was scared my ear was going to get snipped.
jtbell
Oct20-13, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 11,252
Quote Quote by tarekatpf View Post
Is there a way I can move this thread in a different category?
I've moved this to the general "Computing & Technology" forum, because we sometimes have questions about audio/video systems and technology there.
AlephZero
Oct20-13, 10:59 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,383
It's a fairly standard music production "trick". See the "chorus" section in
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/01/14...y-jamey-staub/ for example.

It doesn't have to correspond to anything physically "real", so long as it fools your brain into hearing what the record producer wants you to hear.
tarekatpf
Oct20-13, 08:48 PM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
I would think 1 foot apart only works if you're wearing headphones. If it's designed for speakers, it's really more of a guess. And they're also assuming you're directly in the middle of the speakers, probably.
Thank you very much. Yes, I didn't think about speakers actually. But the same sound reaching one ear, even when you're listening to music with speakers, at a delay of about 10-30 ms never happens in reality.

Somebody told me that it's intended to make the sounds sound ''thicker'' or ''wider'' or whatever. And another said, it helps the ''imperfect'' sounds sound less so.

Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
I've moved this to the general "Computing & Technology" forum, because we sometimes have questions about audio/video systems and technology there.
Thank you very much for the correction.

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
It's a fairly standard music production "trick". See the "chorus" section in
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/01/14...y-jamey-staub/ for example.

It doesn't have to correspond to anything physically "real", so long as it fools your brain into hearing what the record producer wants you to hear.
Thank you very much. That link was very helpful.
meBigGuy
Oct20-13, 10:04 PM
P: 976
You perceive the 10ms delayed speaker as being 10ft further away, increasing the perceived sound stage.

Spatial Enhancement is a hot audio processing topic, especially given all the Home Theatre systems out there now. For example, TI has chips for it:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyb185a/slyb185a.pdf

Here is a pretty involved paper regarding a spatial enhancement technique:
http://www.academia.edu/1029860/Spat...o_applications
tarekatpf
Oct21-13, 11:53 AM
Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post
You perceive the 10ms delayed speaker as being 10ft further away, increasing the perceived sound stage.

Spatial Enhancement is a hot audio processing topic, especially given all the Home Theatre systems out there now. For example, TI has chips for it:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyb185a/slyb185a.pdf

Here is a pretty involved paper regarding a spatial enhancement technique:
http://www.academia.edu/1029860/Spat...o_applications
Thank you very much. Those links were very helpful.

Register to reply