How likely is it that Europa has life under its icy surface

In summary, the likelihood of finding life on Europa is uncertain and could be anywhere between 0 and 100 percent. If there is a liquid ocean on Europa, it is likely to be similar to our oceans on Earth, but the effects of life on it would be unknown. It is unknown if Europa has hydrothermic vents in its oceans, but it is a possibility. The probability of complex multicellular life on Europa would be a groundbreaking discovery and would greatly impact our understanding of the universe. However, the engineering challenges and budget constraints make it unlikely for us to explore Europa in the near future. Despite this, the possibility of finding life on Europa makes it a worthwhile destination for future exploration.
AdrianHudson
How likely is it that Europa has life under its icy surface IF there is a liquid ocean. Would the ocean on Europa be similar to our oceans? Lastly could Europa have to hydrothermic vents in the oceans like our oceans do or does that require a molten mantle?

Thanks for the input :)

P.S (Hopefully they have shrimp and crab mmm :biggrin:)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AdrianHudson said:
How likely is it that Europa has life under its icy surface IF there is a liquid ocean.

Somewhere between 0 and 100 percent. We don't know.

Would the ocean on Europa be similar to our oceans?

Only in that it's liquid water. Life has had dramatic effects on Earth's oceans.

Lastly could Europa have to hydrothermic vents in the oceans like our oceans do or does that require a molten mantle?

Not sure.

Drakkith said:
Somewhere between 0 and 100 percent. We don't know.
Only in that it's liquid water. Life has had dramatic effects on Earth's oceans.
Not sure.

Is it one of those things we won't know for sure unless we actually visit the moon? Thanks for the reply by the way :)

AdrianHudson said:
Is it one of those things we won't know for sure unless we actually visit the moon? Thanks for the reply by the way :)

Yep. We won't know anything at all until we visit it.

Although Drakkith's estimate of the probability of life on Europa (p.L.E) is correct, including its error margins, I think most scientists will accept that p.L.E is most probably strictly greater than the probability of life on a planet made up of solid ice, rather than ice+liquid water

If there is liquid water on Europa, it is likely there is vulcanism. It is believed life on Earth may have originated in the vicinity of underwater vents. I wouldn't expect anything much more complex than bacteria, but, the odds are favorable enough to merit exploration someday, IMO.

Just as a what IF purely for the interesting conversation. What if there is complex multicellular organisms such as a squid or something like that. What would this mean for science?

AdrianHudson said:
Just as a what IF purely for the interesting conversation. What if there is complex multicellular organisms such as a squid or something like that. What would this mean for science?

A great, great deal. It would be an absolutely amazing discovery.

Complex life forms would be absolutely amazing. Maybe something like a sea slug feeding on vent bacteria. Anything more would be truly astonishing. The sun was an enormous energy source for primordial Earth and it still took billions of years for multicellular life forms to emerge. I think simple life is pretty easy, complex life - not so much.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Complex life forms would be absolutely amazing. Maybe something like a sea slug feeding on vent bacteria. Anything more would be truly astonished. The sun was an enormous energy source for primordial Earth and it still took billions of years for multicellular life forms to emerge. I think simple life is pretty easy, complex life - not so much.

What would it mean for us, say we find a sea slug would this mean we would have to completely rethink how we view the universe and we could for sure say "there is complex life out there"?

It would be kind of cool to have another civilization like ourselves near by. Of course though this would bring in heaps of problems which I don't think people as of right now could handle.

Last edited:
OCR said:
Lol, it might think the same about us...
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Home_Soil_(episode)
OCR... :wink:

Haha very true, I guess we are nothing but just bags of water. Can we hope for hot aliens babes or is that out of the realm of possibility? :sly: ;)

Its sad that it will be many generations, maybe centuries before we know. When I was younger I was very excited about someday reading about our first explorations under the ice but the more I learned about Europa, the more I realized what a daunting engineering challenge it is. Considering it takes teams of men and woman years to drill through the ice at Antarctic lakes, it would be a staggering feat of engineering to build a craft capable of drilling through miles and miles of Ice that is probably as hard as rock. Not to mention designing a craft that would be able to survive the cold and radiation for the years that it would likely take to break though. But I think the most daunting challenge would be the budget. Its unlikely that any space agency would get enough funding for such a project.

Then again this is all based on our current state of affairs, who knows, in a few decades we might experience another golden age of space exploration and maybe we will get to know our solar system a lot more intimately.

I hate being pessimistic, but I don't think so. What are the odds of two objects in the same star system to have life? If that really is true, than life is much more common than we think. Water has been found in several moons or dwarf planets (Ganymedes, Ceres, etc).

I say no, but an expedition to Europa would definitely be worth it.

1. What evidence do we have that suggests Europa may have life under its icy surface?

One piece of evidence is the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa, which is believed to contain more water than all of Earth's oceans combined. This ocean is thought to be in contact with the rocky seafloor, creating conditions that could potentially support life. Additionally, Europa has a surface rich in organic compounds and a source of energy from its tidal interactions with Jupiter.

2. How do scientists study the potential for life on Europa?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study Europa's potential for life, including spacecraft missions, remote sensing, and laboratory experiments. Spacecraft missions, such as the upcoming Europa Clipper, will collect data and images of Europa's surface and subsurface. Remote sensing techniques, such as spectroscopy, can also provide valuable information about the composition and potential habitability of Europa. Laboratory experiments simulate the conditions on Europa to test the survival and growth of potential organisms.

3. What challenges do scientists face in determining the likelihood of life on Europa?

One of the biggest challenges is accessing Europa's subsurface ocean, which is buried under a thick layer of ice. This makes it difficult to collect direct samples and limits our ability to study the potential life forms. Additionally, the extreme conditions on Europa, such as the high radiation levels, make it challenging to determine the habitability of the environment.

4. Are there any current missions or plans to search for life on Europa?

Yes, there are currently several missions in development or planning stages that aim to study Europa and search for signs of life. The Europa Clipper mission, set to launch in the mid-2020s, will orbit Europa and study its surface and subsurface in detail. The Europa Lander mission, proposed for a future launch, would land on the surface and directly sample the subsurface ocean.

5. What would be the implications if life was discovered on Europa?

The discovery of life on Europa would have significant implications for our understanding of the potential for life in our solar system and beyond. It would also raise questions about the origin and evolution of life, as well as the potential for habitable environments on other icy worlds in our solar system. Additionally, it could open new avenues for future exploration and research in the search for extraterrestrial life.