Quantum Entanglement on two particles

by Jalo
Tags: entanglement, particles, quantum
Jalo
Nov30-13, 01:33 PM
P: 112
Hi.

Imagine a system of two particles, A and B, where they are entangled.
I've been studying a little bit of quantum entanglement and I understand how measurement of one property of a particle A leads us to find indirectly the value of that property to the particle B. My question is: if I act on one of the particles, let it be A, so that the particle changes in some way, will the particle B also suffer that same change? Or is quantum entanglement strictly related to measurements?

Thanks.
D.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Naty1
Nov30-13, 03:29 PM
P: 5,634
If a pair of photons are prepared with entangled polarization states entanglement persists as long as there is nothing in the way of either photon which disturbs the polarization state. Such a disturbance might be a collision of either of the photons with another particle or absorption by a measuring device.
Jalo
Nov30-13, 04:55 PM
P: 112
And is there anyway to send a message via morse code with a pair of entangled particles? Let's imagine we're dealing with two particles of symmetric spins separated by a large distance. If I manage to change the spin of one of the particles will the other one's spin also change?

Nugatory
Nov30-13, 07:15 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,960

Quantum Entanglement on two particles

Quote Quote by Jalo View Post
And is there anyway to send a message via morse code with a pair of entangled particles? Let's imagine we're dealing with two particles of symmetric spins separated by a large distance. If I manage to change the spin of one of the particles will the other one's spin also change?
There is no way of sending a message.

You measure the spin, you get a spin-up result, you know the other guy's measurement will yield the opposite result. But when he gets spin-down, for all he knows he's made the first measurement, you haven't made a measurement yet, and when you do you'll get spin-up. Likewise, when you get your spin-up result, you have no way of knowing whether he's sending you a message ("I just got a spin-down result") or whether you're making the first measurement.
jtbell
Nov30-13, 08:31 PM
Mentor
P: 11,252
Quote Quote by Nugatory View Post
You measure the spin, you get a spin-up result, [...]
And there's no way to control in advance whether you get spin-up or spin-down, and thereby originate a signal, any more than you could with a monkey pounding randomly at the key of a Morse-code telegraph machine.
Naty1
Dec1-13, 06:54 AM
P: 5,634
And there's no way to control in advance whether you get spin-up or spin-down
yes, the first measure is pure chance, 50/50 you'll get either one. But the entangled measurements ALWAYS correlates to the first measure....

See the first two sections here for some introductory insights......and some of the controversies surrounding this phenomena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Register to reply