Complex IR absorption surface

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a surface that can absorb all IR radiations emitted at 10.6µm and prevent any reflection. Suggestions were made for using black silicon or carbon nanotubes as the outer layer, followed by a layer of diamond and a combination of materials such as silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide for the inner layer. It was also recommended to conduct experiments to determine the optimal thickness and combination of materials for maximum absorption.
oneill38
Hi everyone,

I have a problem a bit tricky to solve which deals with Infrared absorbers.
In my setup experiment, some IR radiations are emitted, let's say black body radiations at 300K, so IR wavelengths centered on 10,6µm.
I want to absorb them (entirely) by a surface (at about 77K) made of several layers to prevent my system from any heating. Consequently, I also want to prevent from IR reflection on this surface.

Maybe some of you can help me to "build" this surface.
For the moment, I have been thinking about a surface made of : (from outer to inner layer)

- layer 1 : Diamond (Good IR transmission 70% (10µm), quite low reflection 15%). It has to be diamond, it cannot be changed.
- layer 2 : Silicon or Zinc Selenide (To absorb/reflect emission from absorber (layer3))
- layer 3 : Fused Silica (To absorb the main IR radiations : Huge absorption band and IR range between 5 to 80µm). However some annoying things are the 2 peaks of reflection at 9 and 21µm ...

Layers has to be thick as possible...

If anyone of you have some ideas or advise regarding as materials (SiO, Black Silicon ...) I did not mention or did not think about, please tell me, I will be glad to know :)

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem and for reaching out for help. I understand that you are looking for a surface that can absorb all IR radiations emitted at 10.6µm and prevent any reflection. I have some ideas that may be helpful to you in designing your surface.

Firstly, I would suggest using a material with high IR absorption coefficient. This means that the material should be able to absorb a large portion of the incident IR radiation. One such material is black silicon, which has a high absorption coefficient in the IR range. It is also a good conductor of heat, which can help in dissipating any absorbed heat.

Another material that you could consider is carbon nanotubes. They have a high absorption coefficient and can be tailored to absorb specific wavelengths of IR radiation. Additionally, they have a low reflectivity, which can help in preventing any reflection from the surface.

In terms of the layers, I would suggest using a thin layer of black silicon or carbon nanotubes as the outer layer, followed by a layer of diamond. Diamond has a high thermal conductivity, which can help in dissipating any absorbed heat. As for the inner layer, you could use a combination of different materials such as silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide, which have high IR absorption coefficients in the range of 5-80µm.

Lastly, I would recommend conducting some experiments to determine the optimal thickness and combination of materials for your specific setup. This will help in achieving maximum absorption and preventing any reflection.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your experiment and have a nice day!

1. What is "Complex IR absorption surface"?

"Complex IR absorption surface" refers to a material or surface that has the ability to absorb infrared (IR) radiation. This absorption can be measured by complex refractive index, which represents the material's ability to absorb and scatter IR radiation.

2. How is complex IR absorption surface measured?

Complex IR absorption surface is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of IR radiation that is absorbed by the material at different wavelengths. This data is then used to calculate the complex refractive index of the material.

3. What are the applications of complex IR absorption surface?

Complex IR absorption surface has a wide range of applications, including in the development of thermal insulation materials, detection of gas leaks, and analysis of atmospheric conditions. It is also used in the design of energy-efficient windows and coatings for solar panels.

4. How does complex IR absorption surface affect global warming?

Complex IR absorption surface plays a significant role in global warming. Materials with high IR absorption properties, such as carbon dioxide and methane, trap heat in the atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect and resulting in a rise in global temperatures.

5. Can complex IR absorption surface be modified?

Yes, complex IR absorption surface can be modified by changing the material's chemical composition or structure. This can be done to enhance its IR absorption properties for specific applications, such as in the development of more efficient insulation materials or solar panels. It can also be modified to reduce its IR absorption, which can help mitigate the effects of global warming.