Need help on electromagnetic poles and induced current

In summary, the magnetic field produced by a current flowing through a straight conductor does not have a north and south pole. The electric field associated with this field is responsible for inducing current in other conductors.
vearnwong
Hello, I know the magnetic field produced by a direct current flowing through a solenoid has a north and south pole, so how about the magnetic field produced by a current flowing through a straight conductor, does it have a north and south pole too? If it have them, where is it located?

A changing magnetic field can induce current in another conductor close to it, but how does it work actually? what energy is it that drive the electrons to produce the current?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
vearnwong said:
Hello, I know the magnetic field produced by a direct current flowing through a solenoid has a north and south pole, so how about the magnetic field produced by a current flowing through a straight conductor, does it have a north and south pole too?

No. A magnetic "pole" is simply a region where the magnetic field (as visualized by its field lines) diverges or converges. There is no such region associated with a straight wire.

A changing magnetic field can induce current in another conductor close to it, but how does it work actually? what energy is it that drive the electrons to produce the current?

According to Maxwell's equations, a changing magnetic field is associated with an electric field, which exerts an electric force on the electrons, causing them to move. The necessary energy ultimately comes from whatever mechanism is producing the change in the magnetic field. I suppose you can think of it as being "passed on" to the electrons via the energy stored in the electromagnetic field.

Thanks a lot on the poles. That really clears things up.

About induced current, I'm still in a haze. I understand what you mean by passing on the energy as in the principle of conservation of energy, what I'm wondering about is does the changing magnetic field somehow able to cause an "imbalance" in the amount of negative charges which produce a potential difference or produce an attractive or repulsive force with the electric field of electrons which subsequently causes it to move.

I really appreciate the help as I'm having trouble finding the explanations on the web. Thanks.

1. What is an electromagnetic pole?

An electromagnetic pole is a concept used to describe the two opposite ends of a magnet, known as the north and south poles. These poles have opposite magnetic charges and are responsible for the attractive and repulsive forces between magnets.

2. How does an electromagnetic pole relate to induced current?

Induced current occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, moves through a magnetic field. This movement causes a change in the magnetic flux, which in turn creates an electric field. The direction of the induced current is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the movement of the conductor.

3. Can induced current be used to generate electricity?

Yes, induced current is the principle behind generators and electric motors. By rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an electric current in the wire, which can then be used to power electrical devices.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect induced current?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the induced current. A stronger magnetic field will induce a larger current, while a weaker magnetic field will induce a smaller current. This is because a stronger magnetic field will create a greater change in magnetic flux, resulting in a stronger electric field.

5. What are some practical applications of induced current?

Induced current has many practical applications, including electricity generation, electric motors, transformers, and electromagnetic induction cooktops. It is also used in devices such as microphones, magnetic card readers, and magnetic levitation trains. Induced current is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.