Exploring Quark Collisions: Experiments & Results

In summary: I meant to say point particles. I think it was in a book about string theory. It was some years back though. But yes I must cite more. Duly notedThat makes sense. Electrons are point particles, and they have mass. Thanks for clearing that up.In summary, an experiment has been conducted where two quarks were smashed together and it was shown that the quarks are ultimately composed of nothing. This was used as evidence for a holographic universe.
L.Newton
Hello to all. I have a pretty general question. Hopefully it will require a somewhat technical answer. My question is this. Has there been any experiment where quarks have been smashed together? Perhaps at the lHC or Fermi. The other day I was told about such an experiment where two quarks were smashed and it was shown that the quarks are ultimately composed of nothing. They tried using this as an argument for a holographic universe. (Holographic as in the Matrix Movie would suggest). I tried finding that excitement and came up empty handed.. So has such an expire meant been conducted? If so were those the actual findings? Are our current particle accelerators equipped to run such experiments? Thank you and I await a response

Physics news on Phys.org
L.Newton said:
Has there been any experiment where quarks have been smashed together? Perhaps at the lHC or Fermi.
High energy collisions between two protons usually result in a direct collision between two of the quarks that make them up. This blog post by Matt Strassler has a good discussion.

L.Newton said:
The other day I was told about such an experiment where two quarks were smashed and it was shown that the quarks are ultimately composed of nothing.
I think what they meant by "composed of nothing" is that, as far as we can tell, quarks are elementary particles -- they are not made of any 'smaller' components.

Thanks that blog has been helping me out a lot. But here's another question. I understand that a particles mass is determined by energy. So why is it that I have heard to particles, such as quarks, as massless?

L.Newton said:
Thanks that blog has been helping me out a lot. But here's another question. I understand that a particles mass is determined by energy. So why is it that I have heard to particles, such as quarks, as massless?

Can you clarify your question? "heard to particles" makes no sense, and I'm not sure what you meant to say.

L.Newton said:

You need to cite where exactly it is that you "heard" these things. This should start to be a habit that you need to do whenever you post here and want us to explain something you came across in your sources.

What you heard is wrong. You need to start looking at the Particle Data book:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2013/listings/contents_listings.html

Notice that they listed the masses of the quarks. So your question should be answered by now.

Zz.

I meant to say point particles. I think it was in a book about string theory. It was some years back though. But yes I must cite more. Duly noted

I'm sorry I don't think it was zero mass. It was zero dimensional. My mistake.

So is the electron! It is considered a point particle, and it has mass! You don't have to go too exotic and use quarks as examples. The thing that flows in the conductors that bring electricity to your house has the same property!

Zz.

Likes L.Newton

1. What are quark collisions and why are they important to study?

Quark collisions are interactions between subatomic particles called quarks. These collisions can occur at high energies, such as in particle accelerators, and provide insight into the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe. Studying quark collisions can help us understand the structure of matter and the origins of the universe.

2. How do scientists recreate quark collisions in experiments?

Scientists use particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to accelerate and collide beams of protons or other particles at high speeds. This recreates the conditions of the early universe and allows scientists to observe the particles that are produced from the collisions.

3. What are some of the key results from experiments involving quark collisions?

Some of the key results include the discovery of new particles, such as the Higgs boson, and the confirmation of theories such as the Standard Model of particle physics. These experiments have also provided evidence for the existence of dark matter and have helped explain the origins of the matter in the universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face when studying quark collisions?

Studying quark collisions is a complex and challenging process. The particles produced in collisions are short-lived and difficult to detect, requiring sophisticated detectors and data analysis techniques. Additionally, the high energies involved in these collisions can pose safety risks and require careful planning and precautions.

5. How do the results of quark collision experiments contribute to scientific advancements?

The results of quark collision experiments can lead to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. They can also inspire new technologies and innovations, such as medical imaging techniques and energy production methods. Furthermore, the collaboration and cooperation among scientists from different disciplines in these experiments can lead to new ideas and approaches to solving complex problems.