Finance stock homework help

In summary, for the first question, the simple interest rate for the stock is 11.36% and for the second question, the interest amount is $51,089.32.
rain
I need some help on some finance questions
1) A stock that sold for $22 at the beginning of the year was selling for $24 at the end of the year. If the stock paid a dividend of $0.50 per share, what is the simple interest rate on an investment in thei stock?

the simple interest rate formula is
A=P(1+rt)
so A=24
P=22
t=1
r=?
am I on the right tract? What do you do with the $0.50 per share?

2. A developer needs $ 80,000 to buy land. He is able to borrow the money at 10% per year compounded quarterly. How much will the interest amount to if he pays off the load in 5 years?

compound interest formula is
A=P(1+i)^n...do you use this formula?
I don't really understand what the question is asking.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rain said:
I need some help on some finance questions
1) A stock that sold for $22 at the beginning of the year was selling for $24 at the end of the year. If the stock paid a dividend of $0.50 per share, what is the simple interest rate on an investment in thei stock?
the simple interest rate formula is
A=P(1+rt)
so A=24
P=22
t=1
r=?
am I on the right tract? What do you do with the $0.50 per share?
If the stock was sold for $24 after receiving the dividend of $0.50, so you actually get back $24.50. Use that formula with A= 24.50, not 24 and solve for r.
2. A developer needs $ 80,000 to buy land. He is able to borrow the money at 10% per year compounded quarterly. How much will the interest amount to if he pays off the load in 5 years?
compound interest formula is
A=P(1+i)^n...do you use this formula?
I don't really understand what the question is asking.
Thanks.
Can we assume that he pays the $80,000 principal back at the end of the 5 years? Because if he pays back part of the principal each month, say, the formula becomes a lot more complicated!
Yes, assuming that, as I just said, he has to pay interest on the entire $80,000 for the entire 5 years, you can use A= P(1+i)n. However, because it is "compounded quarterly" you have to figure it in quarters. i= 0.10/4= 0.025, the interest per quarter instead of per year. And, of course, n= 4*5= 20 quarters, not 5 years. Taking P= 80000, find A. That's the entire amount paid- principle and interest. Subtract the $80,000 principle to find how much of it was interest.
You can approximate that, to check your answer, by using simple interest. At 10% interest for 5 years, his interest would amount to 5*10%= 50%. 50% of $80,000 is $40,000. Of course, compounded quarterly, his interest will amount to more than that.

Since this problem doesn't have anything to do with "Calculus and Analysis" and looks to me like homework, I am moving it

Last edited by a moderator:
for 1) the rate is 11.36%
for 2) the interest is $51089.32
am i correct?

That's what I get.

thanks a lot

1. What are some common financial terms used in stock market?

Some common financial terms used in stock market include stocks, shares, dividends, stock market index, earnings, capital gains, and market capitalization.

2. How do I analyze a company's financial statements?

To analyze a company's financial statements, you can look at its profitability, liquidity, solvency, and efficiency. This can be done by examining key financial ratios such as return on equity, current ratio, debt-to-equity ratio, and inventory turnover.

3. How can I determine the value of a stock?

The value of a stock can be determined through fundamental analysis, which involves evaluating the financial health and performance of a company. This can also include comparing the stock's current price to its intrinsic value or using valuation methods such as discounted cash flow analysis or price-to-earnings ratio.

4. What are some common investment strategies in the stock market?

Some common investment strategies in the stock market include growth investing, value investing, dividend investing, and index investing. Each strategy has its own approach and risk level, so it is important to research and choose the one that aligns with your investment goals and risk tolerance.

5. How can I manage my portfolio for long-term success in the stock market?

To manage your portfolio for long-term success in the stock market, it is important to diversify your investments, regularly review and rebalance your portfolio, and have a long-term investment plan in place. It is also important to stay informed about market trends and news, and to avoid making impulsive decisions based on short-term fluctuations.