How Do You Calculate Mass from Weight on Different Planets?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the mass of a person given their weight and the acceleration due to gravity. The solution involves multiplying the weight in kg by the acceleration in m/s/s.
badboyben03
If I am given the the weight of someone at 91 kg, and he's on a place that's (g=9.782m/s/s), i know to the weight (N), i multiply the 91kg and 9.782 m/s/s, but how do you find the mass of him in kg?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoops

never mind...i had to read it a second time, sorry. i got it now.

You only had to read it a second time? Usually I have to read a problem 3 or 4 times before it makes sense!

Originally posted by badboyben03
If I am given the the weight of someone at 91 kg, and he's on a place that's (g=9.782m/s/s), i know to the weight (N), i multiply the 91kg and 9.782 m/s/s, but how do you find the mass of him in kg?

Can you read before you type?

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).

How do you find the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be found by using a scale to measure its weight and then dividing that weight by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth). The formula for finding mass is mass = weight / acceleration due to gravity.

What is the unit for mass and weight?

Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).

How does mass affect weight?

Mass and weight are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its weight also increases proportionally. However, the gravitational pull of a planet can affect the weight of an object without changing its mass.

What is the difference between measuring mass and measuring weight?

Measuring mass involves determining the amount of matter in an object, while measuring weight involves determining the force of gravity on an object. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and does not change, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.