Proving the Derivative of x^n: A Recursive Approach

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary: It does use the "chain rule", as stated in the beginning of the proof. In summary, there are several ways to prove that dy/dx x^ n = nx^n-1 without using the binomial theorem, such as rewriting x^n in terms of e and ln and applying the chain rule, differentiating both sides of the expression int(x^(n-1))=x^n/n, using induction and the product rule, or using the quotient rule, chain rule, and logarithmic differentiation for different types of numbers.
Werg22
It is asked from me to proove that dy/dx x^ n = nx^n-1 without using the binominal theorem... any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple ways to do this. First, right x^n in terms of e and ln, the exponential and natural log function respectively. Then simply apply the chain rule. You can also arrive at the formula if you differentiate both sides of the expression: int(x^(n-1))=x^n/n, however the logic is somewhat circular.

How about using induction and the product rule?

(Since this has nothing to do with "differential equations", I am moving it.)

Integrating it would be a good approach.

Use the idea that (x^n-a^n) = (x-a)(x^n-1 + x^n-2*a ... + a^n-1)

Use the basic definition of a limit, and you get the left side as I showed above, then re-write it as the one on the right side, than you can cross (x-a) out if you use the appropriate definition (x->a). Then the right side is simply a geometric series, so sum that up and you get na^(n-1).

And you are done.

You have a proof for the definition (h->0), which uses the Binomial Theorem, and (x->a) like above.

Theorem: [itex]\frac{d x^n}{dx}= nx^{n-1}[/itex] for every positive integer n.

When n= 1, this says that [itex]\frac{d x}{dx}= 1x^0= 1[/itex] which is true.

Assume that, for some k, [itex]\frac{dx^k}{dx}= kx^{k-1}[/itex]

[itex]x^{k+1}= x(x^k)[/itex] so, by the product rule,
[tex]\frac{dx^{k+1}}{dx}= \frac{dx}{dx}x^k+ x\frac{dx^k}{dx}[/itex]
Then
[tex]\frac{dx^{k+1}}{dx}= x^k+ x(kx^k)= (k+1)x^k[/tex]

By induction, then, [itex]\frac{dx^n}{dx}= nx^{n-1}[/itex] for every positive integer n.

You can use the quotient rule to show it is true for all negative integers as well, the chain rule to show it is true for n any rational number, and, finally, logarithmic differentiation to show it is true for n any real number.

JasonRox said:
Integrating it would be a good approach.
Use the idea that (x^n-a^n) = (x-a)(x^n-1 + x^n-2*a ... + a^n-1)
Use the basic definition of a limit, and you get the left side as I showed above, then re-write it as the one on the right side, than you can cross (x-a) out if you use the appropriate definition (x->a).

just divide by x-a and the LHS in the limit is the derivative, do not just "cross it out"

Then the right side is simply a geometric series, so sum that up and you get na^(n-1).

it is not a geometric series (except in the trivial sense), it is simply a sum x^{n-1}+x^{n-1}+..+x^{n-1} with n terms in it that are all the same.

matt grime said:
just divide by x-a and the LHS in the limit is the derivative, do not just "cross it out"
it is not a geometric series (except in the trivial sense), it is simply a sum x^{n-1}+x^{n-1}+..+x^{n-1} with n terms in it that are all the same.

I guess my explanation is bad. I was too lazy to use LaTeX.

This was another proof given in a very popular text by Stewart.

How about this? We know that [itex]x^n = x x^{n-1}[/itex] and using the chain rule it follows that

[tex]D_n = x^{n-1} + x D_{n-1}[/tex]

where [itex]D_n[/itex] stands for

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} x^n[/tex]

Now just follow the recursion on [itex]D_{n-1}[/itex] all the way down to [itex]D_0 = 0[/itex] and you obtain your result with n identical terms of [itex]x^{n-1}[/itex]. QED

Tide said:
How about this? We know that [itex]x^n = x x^{n-1}[/itex] and using the chain rule it follows that
[tex]D_n = x^{n-1} + x D_{n-1}[/tex]
where [itex]D_n[/itex] stands for
[tex]\frac {d}{dx} x^n[/tex]
Now just follow the recursion on [itex]D_{n-1}[/itex] all the way down to [itex]D_0 = 0[/itex] and you obtain your result with n identical terms of [itex]x^{n-1}[/itex]. QED

That doesn't use the "chain rule", it uses the "product rule"- which I did earlier in this thread.

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It represents how much the output of the function changes with respect to a small change in the input.

2. How do you prove the derivative of x^n?

To prove the derivative of x^n, we use the definition of a derivative and the properties of limits. We can rewrite x^n as e^(nlnx) and then use the chain rule and product rule to simplify the expression and find the derivative.

3. What is the power rule for derivatives?

The power rule for derivatives states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). It is a shortcut method for finding the derivative of a polynomial function.

4. Can the derivative of x^n be generalized for all real numbers?

Yes, the derivative of x^n can be generalized for all real numbers using the extended power rule. This states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1) for any real number n, except for n = 0 where the derivative is just a constant value of 1.

5. How is the derivative of x^n related to the slope of the graph of x^n?

The derivative of x^n represents the slope of the tangent line to the graph of x^n at a specific point. This means that the derivative gives us the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point, which is equivalent to the slope of the graph at that point.