How/why does electricity make metal shiny?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of plasmons and their role in the reflection of incident EM-radiation in metals. Plasmons are associated with the longitudinal waves of conduction electrons in a metal, and their plasma frequency determines how they respond to the incident E-field. The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is recommended as a resource for further understanding, although it may be too dense for casual reading.
mugsby
i have heard this a few places but so far no one has explaned themselfs. i'd assume it has to do something with how the atoms bond, but electrons are pretty loose with metal that why it conducts so good. so i don't get it.:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
mugsby said:
i have heard this a few places but so far no one has explaned themselfs. i'd assume it has to do something with how the atoms bond, but electrons are pretty loose with metal that why it conducts so good. so i don't get it.:confused:

I am not quite sure on what you mean by "shiny" but if you are referring to the screening of an incident E-field by the metal's conduction electrons, then your answer is : PLASMONS

Plasmons are the particles (well quasi particles actually) that are associated with the longitudinal waves of the conduction electrons in a metal that has been submitted to incident EM-radiation.

The conduction electrons in the metal will start to vibrate longitudinally as a response to the incident EM-radiation (ie as a reaction to the incident oscillating electrical field actually). It is this oscillation of conduction electrons that gives rise to the phase shifted reflected light of a conductor.

The plasma frequence is that frequence above which the electrons can no longer 'follow' the oscillating incident E-field. Thus the E-field is no longer reflected but passes through the medium.

Hope that helps,

regards
marlon

thanks for the info, would this book have a graphical explanation?

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics

i'm thinking of asking for this for christmas, maybe a bit heavy for bathroom reading though.

1. How does electricity make metal shiny?

When electricity passes through a metal, it causes the atoms in the metal to vibrate. This vibration leads to the release of electrons, which create a flow of electricity. As the electrons move, they collide with other atoms, causing them to release more electrons. This process, known as electron bombardment, creates a polishing effect on the surface of the metal, making it appear shiny.

2. Why does electricity make metal shiny?

Electricity makes metal shiny because it causes a flow of electrons, which leads to electron bombardment on the metal's surface. This bombardment smoothens out any imperfections on the surface, making it appear shiny and reflective.

3. Can any metal be made shiny with electricity?

Not all metals can be made shiny with electricity. Only those metals that are good conductors of electricity, such as gold, silver, copper, and aluminum, can be made shiny through this process. Metals like iron, which are poor conductors, do not respond well to electron bombardment and may not become as shiny.

4. Is electricity the only way to make metal shiny?

No, electricity is not the only way to make metal shiny. Other methods, such as chemical polishing, buffing, and electroplating, can also be used to make metal shiny. However, electricity is a cost-effective and efficient method for achieving a shiny surface on metals.

5. How does the shiny effect last on metal after using electricity?

The shiny effect on metal after using electricity can last for a long time, depending on the metal's quality and the conditions it is exposed to. However, over time, the shiny surface may fade due to exposure to air and other environmental factors. To maintain the shine, regular cleaning and maintenance may be required.