Do TVs & Monitors Emit Harmful Radiation?

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary: According to the report, the dangers of too close of a TV are largely insignificant. The Straight Dope column by Cecil Adams from 1998 discusses this issue in-depth. TV's and monitors have been able to emit X-rays for many years, but this problem was fixed in the early 1960's. Sitting too close to the TV can strain your eyes, but there is no evidence that it will damage your eyes. It is important to keep in mind that your eyes may need more rest than usual if you spend a lot of time on the computer. Some pediatric ophthalmologists believe that computer vision syndrome may be a problem in children who spend a lot of time on the computer, but the research is inconclusive. Parents should be mindful of
Maxwell
Do TV's and Monitors emit radiation that is harmful to humans?

I'm in front of a computer screen for around 15 hours a day... for school, work, and entertainment purposes.

At night, I always have my TV on and I need to fall asleep with it on. I usually set the sleep timer for 30 minutes after I fall asleep.

So do these devices emit radiation that is harmful for humans?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The dangers are rather insignificant. Anything a tv or a monitor can throw at you is child's play compared to the background radiation Earth is cooking you up with.

The jury is still out on this.

One thing that is a risk though is eyestrain.

i found some material regarding your question:

http://ask.yahoo.com/20021230.html said:
Does sitting too close to the TV really damage your eyes?
Gary
Middletown, New Jersey
Dear Gary:
A search on "too close TV" turned up a column from The Straight Dope. Looks like Cecil beat us to the punch on this one. What does he have to say on the matter? Despite the repeated warnings of your mother, sitting too close to the TV will not damage your eyes.

In his insightful column, Cecil points out, "Prior to 1968 or so some sets emitted excessive X-rays, but that problem has now been eliminated." So no damaging rays are actually given off from the set that can hurt you. However, sitting too close to the TV could strain your eyes. Some eye doctors recommend that you sit no closer than five feet from the TV screen, but this precaution is merely to prevent eye fatigue. There are some people who believe that eyestrain can lead to myopia, or nearsightedness, and a few animal studies seem to support this theory, but there is little conclusive evidence.

Several other sources confirmed that sitting smack dab in front of the TV does not damage your eyes. According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, kids, the usual culprits, can focus up close better than adults, so they often develop the habit of sitting right in front of the television. However, sitting too close to the TV may indicate that your child needs glasses.

While TV may not ruin your eyes, the jury is still out as to its effects on your brain.

and also

[PLAIN said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Technology/story?id=1409940][/PLAIN]
Kids who spend a lot of time on the computer may be at risk of developing eye strain and even "computer vision syndrome," although the seriousness of the second condition is under debate.

Some well-known signs of eye strain include headaches, constant rubbing of the eyes, dry eyes and fuzzy vision. These symptoms usually go away once a child or adult takes a break from the computer.

But optometrist Cary Herzberg said people often struggle to focus on computer monitors, and this may lead to more serious problems.

"When you look at a lighted screen, the eye doesn't focus on the screen, it focuses behind it, so the eye has to adjust all the time to see well," Herzberg said.

Herzberg said this could possibly lead to permanent damage in children in the form of premature nearsightedness, also know as myopia.

"I'm seeing it in younger ages, and I'm seeing much higher prescriptions at younger ages," he said. "It's an interesting phenomenon."

Herzberg participated in a study several years ago that suggested one in four children may suffer from eye strain serious enough that an eye exam would be recommended.

However, the research was sponsored by a company that makes an FDA-approved device designed to test eyes for computer strain.

If strain is detected, Herzberg said specialized glasses can then be prescribed to reduce eye fatigue. The glasses cost about the same as most prescription eyeglasses.

Pediatric ophthalmologist Benjamin Ticho is skeptical. He said he sees no need for special glasses, but he does advise medical students training under him at University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago to be mindful of computer strain.

"There isn't good research that says it causes permanent damage, but even temporary symptoms are worth noting," said Ticho.

For parents and others concerned about eye strain, experts recommend the following:

Make sure the computer workspace fits smaller bodies.

The screen should be tilted slightly downward at a 15-degree angle.

The distance between the monitor and the child should be about two feet.

Limit computer and game use to 20 minutes at a time.

Make sure children receive annual eye exams beginning before kindergarten and thereafter.

WLS-TV in Chicago prepared this report.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is it true that TVs and monitors emit harmful radiation?

Yes, it is true that TVs and monitors emit some level of radiation. However, the amount of radiation emitted is significantly lower than other electronic devices such as cell phones and microwaves. The radiation emitted from TVs and monitors is also considered non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause harm to human cells.

2. What are the potential health effects of radiation from TVs and monitors?

The most commonly reported health effects from exposure to radiation from TVs and monitors are eye strain, headaches, and fatigue. However, these effects are typically caused by prolonged use of screens and not solely from radiation. The levels of radiation emitted from TVs and monitors are not considered high enough to cause serious health concerns.

3. How can I protect myself from radiation from TVs and monitors?

To minimize your exposure to radiation from TVs and monitors, you can sit at least two feet away from the screen and limit your screen time. You can also adjust the brightness and contrast settings on your device to reduce the strain on your eyes. Additionally, choosing devices with lower emission levels, such as LED or LCD screens, can also help reduce your exposure.

4. Are newer TVs and monitors safer in terms of radiation?

Yes, newer TVs and monitors are generally considered safer in terms of radiation. This is because newer models are required to meet stricter regulations and guidelines for radiation emissions. However, it is important to note that even older models typically emit low levels of radiation that are not harmful to humans.

5. Can radiation from TVs and monitors affect pregnant women or children?

While there is limited research on the effects of radiation from TVs and monitors on pregnant women and children, it is generally believed that the low levels of radiation emitted from these devices do not pose a significant risk. However, it is always recommended to limit screen time for children and pregnant women for overall health and well-being.